Main > The Armoury

Great helm liners

<< < (6/12) > >>

Leganoth:
Brought my helm to school so my gf could measure for a torse and start that, some bastards picked up my helm and lunch and scratched the pount of the cross covering your chin down >:(!!

Sir Edward:

Man, that's not cool. The good news is that your armor can look a little more battle-worn once it has some nicks and dents. :)

Sir William:
Battle-worn is a good look.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Leganoth on 2011-08-01, 18:58:25 ---^ But i wouldnt know how to make such a thing and then put it onto my helm

--- End quote ---

The best place to get dragon horns is to cut them from the carcass of a recently slain dragon.

But as for finding the dragon....

James Barker:
I know I am coming to this thread rather late but I think I have the answer on the liners for you. I do not beleive early great helmets were themselves padded, instead the wearer had a padded coif under the maille, or a padded roll attached to the coif on the outside, a skull cap with padding above or under the maille coif layer, or a small bascinet helmet that was padded under the great helm.

Skull caps are seen in the 12th century straight through the GH era. The bascinet is a 14th century helmet. The padded roll is seen in 12th and 13th century effigies.

If you look here you can see both the small helmet and padded roll options http://www.themcs.org/armour/14th%20century%20armour.htm

If you look at this Maciejowski bible image (1250) you see the point is back the the knight in front has a skull cap under the maille. 

Effigies of early crusaders show the padded roll I mention: 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version