Main > The Armoury

Mace

(1/3) > >>

SirNathanQ:
How does one go about affixing this head to a shaft?

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=401000400&name=Steel+Mace+Head

Or where to get a good early period mace?

Sir Wolf:

insert  piece of wood into the hole :P hahahha

i would use an ash or hard wood dowel (not so much pine that could break easier) use heavy glue or even sand it down so its slightly larger and pound it into place. but i think i would still glue it like crazy.  maybe even drill a hole and add a nail or 2

i like that mace.

Sir Rodney:
With that particular head you have to glue and pin as Sir Wolf mentioned.  For good maces, check out Tod's Stuff.  Leo Todeschini does some awesome work.  Also look at the cutler and foundry links, lots of really good stuff there!!

SirNathanQ:
Yeah, but glue? I can just see that flying off at an inopportune moment that way.....

And I don't see any holes for nailing to the shaft. Does one drill them? and if so, how?

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-07-25, 02:33:20 ---Yeah, but glue? I can just see that flying off at an inopportune moment that way.....

And I don't see any holes for nailing to the shaft. Does one drill them? and if so, how?

--- End quote ---
A drill press would be ideal, but a hand drill will work.

Shave your haft/handle so that there's a nice tight fit in the head socket and make sure it's fully seated.

Remove, goober the shaft and socket with epoxy, re-insert (seating fully), clean up excess epoxy (quickly) and leave it overnight.

Find a piece of mild steel rod that you will use for your pin.  Select a drill bit the same size (or 1/32 larger) as the pin diameter.  Drill a hole from the bottom flange, through the shaft and out the opposite side of the flange.  Try to keep everything nice and even while coming out 180 degrees from where you started.

Cut the rod just long enough that that you will be able to peen both ends once pushed through the hole.  Peen one end in a vice first, insert the rod, peen the other end and clean up both peens so that they are pretty.

Buff to remove burrs and other ugly stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version