Main > The Library

Valhalla Rising

<< < (4/9) > >>

Todd Eriksen:
My thoughts on Valhalla Rising?  Dark, depressing, odd.

As for terrible medieval-esque movies?  Season of the Witch, ranks up there as one of the worst.  As does the made for TV movie Joan of Arc with Leelee Sobieski.  Terrible acting, terrible casting, horrendously distorted storyline.  A bomb in my book.  BUT, I still watch it as there are so few medieval style movies out there that it quenches my thirst once in a great while.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Todd Eriksen on 2012-10-29, 20:27:33 ---BUT, I still watch it as there are so few medieval style movies out there that it quenches my thirst once in a great while.

--- End quote ---

That's almost a tag line for most of the movies I watch too. :)

Historical aside, I enjoyed Season of the Witch. I found Black Death darker and closer to historical, but enjoyed it less. It's a heck of a mind-messer, though!

Silvanus:
Valhalla Rising is one of my favorite films, though certainly not for storyline or historical significance. But for its scenery, camera-work, and general atmosphere.

Black Death is another favorite.... One of my favorite scenes of any film is when the stocky, bald warrior is being tempted by a village maiden (who may or may not be a witch). She asks if he sits alone because he is shy. His reply: "I'm married; and i am a Christian - so pi$$ off." Not the most chivalric retort, but it got the job done.

Sir Edward:

I enjoyed Season of the Witch, but only for what it was-- more of a "historical" fantasy. It was OK, not fantastic.

I haven't found many that I thought were a true waste of my time. I've gotten rather numb to the historical flaws, and just assume they're all more fantasy than anything else.

Something I thought was quite good though was The Name of the Rose, with Sean Connery.

Sir Wolf:
i loved that movie (name of the rose) also check out robin and marion. both great sean connery flicks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version