Main > The Armoury

Maille arrived

<< < (2/10) > >>

Sir Edward:

That's looking great! Is it mild steel? The black coating will probably wear off eventually. Mail tends to de-rust itself this way, so the coating will do the same, I hate to say. But depending on how they did it, it may remain a relatively dark color anyway, and may last a long time.

For oiling, you might consider spray-on gun oil. I haven't tried it yet, so take this with a grain of salt (most of my mail is aluminum or stainless).

I haven't tried a vacuum bag. Cool idea though.

As for the baggy sleeves, you can probably alleviate some of that just by running some laces through the mail to tie it down to your arm in several places. It takes longer to put it on, but since it's not ridiculously wide (like the "wings of mail" that you can get with a lot of other off-the-shelf mail), you can probably get close to a tailored look this way. They gave you enough length in the sleeves that once it's tied up, it'll come back behind your wrist and won't look too long.

How's the fit below the waist? Any trouble sitting down?

Sir Rodney:
Sweet! :)

SirNathanQ:
Nice! Tightening sleeves should be easy (as far as maille tailoring goes!!!!!  :P)
Imagine yourself with arms outstretched in a Crucifixion pose (Ignore impulse to visualize yourself in a bloody man-diaper  :o)  Make a slit in the bottom of the sleeves, down until where you feel they are fitted adequately. Take the sides and lay the newly made sides overtop each other (while still wearing) and have one side overlap the other, until you feel it's an appropriate fit. This new (as of now imaginary) joining is where they will be reattached on. Mark this new line of attachment in some way. Now remove excess and reattach.  done correctly and you will have new fitted sleeves! Yay for you!

Anyway, maille looks great. Now get thyself a Surcoat!

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-07-17, 01:05:18 ---...
For oiling, you might consider spray-on gun oil. I haven't tried it yet, so take this with a grain of salt (most of my mail is aluminum or stainless).
--- End quote ---

Yep that's what I use. I do it twice a season typically. Just run a dowel or even a broom stick through the sleeves and neck hang it off somewhere you don't mind getting some oil overspray on or better yet free hang it and spray away! Of course it will be an extra filthy mess the first few times you wear it after such an application.  ;)

Sir James A:
Very nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version