Main > The Armoury

Maille arrived

<< < (8/10) > >>

Sir James A:
Last I spoke with IceFalcon (a few months ago?) he doesn't have a source for individual solid rings (9mm stainless is what I asked for, though). Rivited mail isn't really any "harder" than butted, but it's easily twice as time consuming since you have to weave the rings slightly different to keep them from deforming, and having to constantly swap needlenose for riviting pliers and then setting the rivits. When I finished with my mail skirt a week or two ago, I had 3 blisters on my hand from the riviting pliers.

I found an interesting post on MyArmoury about the rivited mail. Seems that some places have someone who just builds "squares" of mail, and then to make chausses, hauberks, haubergeons, etc, they assemble the squares into the final shape. That explains the always tube shape, and possibly why some rivits are set poorly - multiple makers working on a single item.

I've got the mail riviting pliers and I'm quickly getting used to working with mail again, if there's any interest I can host a "workshop" at my house or something.

Sir William:
I think we can drum up interest, Sir James...maybe make a caravan out to see you.  Since we aren't altogether sure that there will be electricity and running water, we'll bring batteries and bottled water.  LOL

I'm kidding...I know WV is mostly modern.  ;)

Sir Ulrich:
I wouldnt mind learning how to tailor maille myself, my maille needs a bit of tailoring in the sleeves but I wont try it till I got 9MM butted rings at least, because I plan to tailor it with butted links first then replace them with riveted links afterward so making a mistake would be easier to fix.

Sir William:
Working with mail requires a lot of manual strength...by the time you're finished, Ulrich, you'll have a steel hard grip.

Sir Ulrich:
Well my rings did come, but the tool is still on back order which irritates me, They dont exactly match the maille from Icefalcon but I'm gonna have to make due.. Once I tailor my maille I should be OK as long as I can blacken the rings to make them match the rest of the hauberk. Not sure how to do it though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version