Main > The Armoury

Maille arrived

(1/10) > >>

Sir Ulrich:

Well my maille hauberk arrived today, I must say it was a lot less greasy than I thought it was so I am keeping the oil on it so it wont rust. Putting it on is HARD, had to get people to help me put it on. When on it's not as heavy as I thought it would be and it fits quite well. Taking it off is relatively easy. and the gambeson is more uncomfortable than wearing the maille.
 Any suggestions on how to store it? Currently I'm storing it in a plastic bin and I am using the silica jell pack that came with it in the bin.

Sir Brian:
Looks great!  :)
Huzzah that does fit you very well!

Your intended storage method will be just fine. I keep my armor in a plastic travel tub with wheels. I keep the mail loosely wraped in an old slightly oily felt cloth. Congratulations on your newest addition to your kit! :)

Sir Wolf:
hey looks great!! i keep mine in a old burlap sack. now it will look great with the kettle helmet, (get a coif) and some tighter pants!! hehehe

keep up the great work

Sir Patrick:
Looks great!  Since the storage question has been raised, has anyone here tried to store maille in a "Space Bag", those heavy plastic bags you vacuum the air out of to store comforters and the like?

Sir Ulrich:
So I'm just gonna keep it stored how it is for now, just hope to get a burlap sack to store it as well don't want it rusting cause I like the black coating way too much as it actually looks like it's wrought iron. Any suggestions on what kind of oil to use to keep coated on it in case it ever comes off?

Only complaint I have is the sleeves are a little baggy (not nearly as baggy as the GDFB stuff), surprisingly it's easier to get my leather gauntlets on under the maille than putting them over the gambeson. It weighs around 21 pounds but when I wear it only place I feel the maille's weight is my shoulders. Not gonna tailor it just yet cause I won't have any idea what I'm actually doing and I don't wanna mess it up anybit. Wish there was maille tailoring services. My next purchase will probably be either a new gambeson or a coif, just want a few layers of linen as a gambeson cause this stuffed one is WAYYY too hot to fight in or wear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version