Main > The Library

Legend Quest show (SyFy / Sci-Fi)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sir James A:
Yep, starts tonight. :)

Sir Edward:
I watched most of last night's episode. I got called away about 3/4 of the way through, so I'll finish it later.

My impression is pretty much what I expected (considering it's on syfy). Lots of unsubstantiated speculation and hype. If they really wanted to do the subjects justice, they'd go into more detail about the history and myths around these objects, and spend less time on the "this is probably what happened, based on our flimsy assumptions".

I mean... sure, the Templars MUST have taken the Ark to Chartres because the other church was shaped like a cross? Seriously? (yes, I realize I'm simplifying what they said)

It's interesting, so I'll watch more. I just think they could have done a much better job if they wanted to take it seriously.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-07-14, 15:34:07 ---I watched most of last night's episode. I got called away about 3/4 of the way through, so I'll finish it later.

My impression is pretty much what I expected (considering it's on syfy). Lots of unsubstantiated speculation and hype. If they really wanted to do the subjects justice, they'd go into more detail about the history and myths around these objects, and spend less time on the "this is probably what happened, based on our flimsy assumptions".

I mean... sure, the Templars MUST have taken the Ark to Chartres because the other church was shaped like a cross? Seriously? (yes, I realize I'm simplifying what they said)

It's interesting, so I'll watch more. I just think they could have done a much better job if they wanted to take it seriously.

--- End quote ---

It's about what I expected, too. We used to watch MonsterQuest (they look for Bigfoot, Loch Ness monster, etc) and realized ... if they find something, wouldn't it hit the news before the show airs? I usually like that sort of show more for the journey than the destination itself, so it was nice to hear some of the history they used to make their conclusions, and to see the places in more than just pictures online. It seems a bit like a "gimmick" show, like MonsterQuest and MysteryQuest (so many quests!), I don't think it aims to be a documentary, but it's not trying to be fiction either. It seems very "middle ground", if that makes any sense?

I think they made a reasonable guess at what path the Ark may have taken, since they had multiple things that coincide with their conclusion. The thing that always frustrates me about the shows like that, is that if the Ark is REALLY behind those pieces of wood - move them! I wouldn't have the restraint to say "Yeah, I've traveled across a few countries to get here, it's probably right." and then left. I'd also be digging under Rosslyn Chapel to see what's in the unknown vaults, and I'd also be jailed for it ... but I'd know if the Holy Grail is there or not.

Sir William, this episode featured the "underground" complex (including the church) at Lalibela. I heard them say that, and I said "Ah! I know that!" and pulled up the picture of the church for my wife to see. Later in the episode, he climbs up and looks down from the same place the picture was taken. Kinda neat. :)

I had never heard the story of the talking Mayan cross, and hearing stories I haven't before, or making connections between something I've heard or seen (like Lalibela) in conjunction with the current story is at least half of the fun for me.

Next week is Excalibur. The 3 second preview of it made me sad, so I hope it was misleading. :(

Sir Edward:

Yeah, that was my thought as well. If they were really serious about finding these artifacts, they'd have arranged to do at least sonar analysis or something to see if there's a chamber there. Instead it's "let's go in, speculate, and happily go home empty-handed".

While some of the interpretation of the symbols seemed pretty good to me, it also seemed like they were trying to associate anything with a cross with the Templars. They didn't have a monopoly on crosses. And a maltese cross vs a rectangular one isn't a strong correlation in my mind.

Granted, I'm no expert.

Sir Edward:

By the way, with a simple google search, I've found the Ark of the Covenant. You can order one here:

http://www.arkcovenant.com/LifeSizeReplica.htm

:)

And these guys make a kit:

http://goldenarmor.com/ark-kit-info/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version