Main > The Armoury

Name of your Sword

<< < (11/31) > >>

Sir William:
You know, I've seen Van Helsing twice but can attest to being preoccupied w/something else while watching it so although I do recall the LHoG one, don't recall him being called Gabriel, but it makes sense.  And as you say, Sir James, I am a southpaw so it works for me.

It isn't blasphemous to use it?  I wonder.  I stop short of calling myself that...but have thought it from time to time.  lol

Sir Wulf:
About a year ago I was looking thru a palladium games rifts book. There was a picture of an adventurer with a magic sword. In futhark runes on the blade it said " a magic sword"! I laughed myself sick.

SirNathanQ:
That was one of my main frustrations with that movie. Why didn't they explain that? And the whole nightmares thing? Wasn't explaining that one of the main reasons they went there?

I love the name Gibril. Would you be applying that to the sword you have? Guzzleguts?
And It's not blasphemous, as I imagine you wouldn't actually br considering yourself an archangel. 

And I love Von Gottesmund because it does a perfect job of summarizing what it's purpose would be in that context. The reference is Apocalyptic, which would be appropriate for what it would be used for.   

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-07-14, 20:10:27 ---You know, I've seen Van Helsing twice but can attest to being preoccupied w/something else while watching it so although I do recall the LHoG one, don't recall him being called Gabriel, but it makes sense.

--- End quote ---

It's actually a rather "quiet" portion. Van Helsing and Dracula are "stalking" each other,                and Dracula almost whispers  "Gabriel. Oh Gabriel.", if I remember right, just before Van Helsing stakes him (attention grabber). In the same conversation, he says something about "It must be so hard to be the left hand of God.", but that's all it really touches on.

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-07-15, 15:25:56 ---That was one of my main frustrations with that movie. Why didn't they explain that? And the whole nightmares thing? Wasn't explaining that one of the main reasons they went there?
--- End quote ---

It's implying that Van Helsing is the human incarnation of Gabriel, and when he mentions to the friar about "I remember Rome", it's implying that Van Helsing has been around since roughly the time of the crucifixion. At another point, Dracula mentions that he can tell Van Helsing much about his past, and that's supposed to be part of the "bait" for Van Helsing to not kill him, and probably why it doesn't expand from that.

On a related note, if you haven't seen "Shroud" (made in 2009), the ending is interesting, and related in some way (which I won't spoil).

As for blasphemous for calling a sword Gibril or Gabriel - I don't see why a different language of the same name would matter, so Gabriel, Gibril, same thing. Calling a sword what it's been named is, simply, a name. As long as you don't worship the sword, I'd say you're fine, I think. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-07-15, 19:00:34 ---On a related note, if you haven't seen "Shroud" (made in 2009), the ending is interesting, and related in some way (which I won't spoil).

--- End quote ---

I don't see it on Netflix. Doh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version