Main > The Courtyard

The axe

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-30, 15:11:20 ---They should've sent one man under the bridge to hook you; that is what I would have done.  :)

--- End quote ---
Or stab upwards at the "soft vitals" that are not well protected from that angle. :o ;D

I've never had the privilege, yet, of fighting on a real bridge. :(

Sir Wulf:
In our weapon & shield matches the rest of the guys invariably go with sword & shield. So the first time I locked their shield down with my axe and proceeded to defend and vigorously attack with the SHIELD!!! they were all pretty shocked. To be fair until I arrived they were using large Norman kites while I used a modified Vikingr round.

Sir William:

--- Quote from: Lord Rodney on 2011-06-30, 15:16:43 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-30, 15:11:20 ---They should've sent one man under the bridge to hook you; that is what I would have done.  :)

--- End quote ---
Or stab upwards at the "soft vitals" that are not well protected from that angle. :o ;D

I've never had the privilege, yet, of fighting on a real bridge. :(

--- End quote ---

Ah, I thought the scenario you put forth had you fighting at the entrance to a bridge...I just assumed you meant a real one.  :)

Thorsteinn:

Viking Combat Training at Higgins Armory Museum

Axe Techniques

Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques

-Ivan

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-06-30, 10:43:16 ---There seems to be a critical shortage of historical documentation available for axe fighting which appears to be left up to the WMA community to ‘rediscover’ this particular lost martial art.  :)

--- End quote ---

Everyone always says that, but it isn't entirely true. :) It's true that not a lot has been written about the axe specifically, but I honestly think that's just because there was no need: If you study a martial system such as the Liechtenauer tradition, or the Bolognese, or Fiore, etc, then you already know how to use an axe. These systems teach so many weapon forms, and they're all more or less the same, with minor variations. The poleaxe teaches you how to do all the variations and hooking actions of the axe head, the sword teaches you the footwork and mechanics of fighting with a smaller weapon than a poleaxe, and the various staff weapons teach you how to strike with a more percussive weapon than a sword. The weapon is only the tool to implement the art, not a tool to invent an art.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version