Main > The Armoury

Antique Sword or just a Good Copy?

(1/3) > >>

Sir William:
I found this on eBay and was struck by its attractiveness...but also because to me it seems like someone took an Arabic blade and attached it to a Euro-style cross and hilt.  Your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150619468678&fromMakeTrack=true

Note the double crescent moons on the blade...suggesting an eastern origin rather than a Euro one.  Maybe Bill can weigh in.

Sir Wolf:
i like the 3 groved fuller

Sir William:
I have a supposed Saracen blade...remind me to bring it w/me next time we all meet up.  Triple fullered just like this one with the crescent moon marks on the blade, just like this one.  The seller let it go for $130- did he sucker me or not?  I shall let you be the judge.  I think I was suckered and said so...he took affront to the remark so I said I would have it appraised and let him know.  I have dug up better specimens in my backyard as a kid, I am sure.  lol

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-22, 15:42:04 ---I found this on eBay and was struck by its attractiveness...but also because to me it seems like someone took an Arabic blade and attached it to a Euro-style cross and hilt.  Your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150619468678&fromMakeTrack=true

Note the double crescent moons on the blade...suggesting an eastern origin rather than a Euro one.  Maybe Bill can weigh in.

--- End quote ---

You know, I don't really know. I'm not at all an expert on the historical originals, at least as far as distinguishing fakes.

Many of the swords from that era didn't have maker's marks. However, sometimes they re-hilted Saracen blades and the like, so some strange looking specimens can exist.

This sword certainly looks old, with plenty of pitting. But it could be a Victorian fake.

Sir William:
It is what I am thinking...hard to tell w/out having more experience and blade in-hand.  Worth a conversation though, no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version