Main > The Armoury

Peening vs Threaded tangs

<< < (5/7) > >>

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-06-16, 23:01:02 ---
I don't recall where I saw it, or if it was even historically based, but there is a "proper" size sword for each person. If I recall correctly, rest the sword in it's scabbard on the ground, on it's tip, and the pommel should be within 1" of your armpit.
--- End quote ---

Do you know where this is from? I can only think of two thing similar. The first is Filipo Vadi of the 15th century, where he states that his specialized sword for judicial duelling in armor was to be the distance from the ground to your armpit, and that the hilt and the crossguard should be the length of your forearm, but this is not a typical sword. There are also a couple of 16th century Italian rapier masters that preferred longer blades and stated the exact same length measurement (Capoferro is one of those masters).

Either way, there is no general perfect length for all styles, cultures and times. Certain historical fencing masters had preferences for specific lengths (such as George Silver who believed the way to determine your perfect blade length was put your off-hand straight forward and put your sword in the other hand and pull the hilt back to your shoulder, and the blade should end at the off hand), but even they all disagreed half of the time. Even the ones from the same period. :)

Sir William:
When I read that 'pommel should be within 1" of your armpit' - I wondered if you meant kneeling or standing- standing would mean a rather large and long sword.

The one Bill mentions from George Silver is what I recall reading, although I did not recall that it was him who'd said it.  Thanks Bill!

Sir Wolf:
i remember something early on about a one handed weapon should be clear of the ground when you swing it down. have no idea where it came from.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-06-17, 04:48:04 ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-06-16, 23:01:02 ---
I don't recall where I saw it, or if it was even historically based, but there is a "proper" size sword for each person. If I recall correctly, rest the sword in it's scabbard on the ground, on it's tip, and the pommel should be within 1" of your armpit.
--- End quote ---

Do you know where this is from? I can only think of two thing similar. The first is Filipo Vadi of the 15th century, where he states that his specialized sword for judicial duelling in armor was to be the distance from the ground to your armpit, and that the hilt and the crossguard should be the length of your forearm, but this is not a typical sword. There are also a couple of 16th century Italian rapier masters that preferred longer blades and stated the exact same length measurement (Capoferro is one of those masters).

Either way, there is no general perfect length for all styles, cultures and times. Certain historical fencing masters had preferences for specific lengths (such as George Silver who believed the way to determine your perfect blade length was put your off-hand straight forward and put your sword in the other hand and pull the hilt back to your shoulder, and the blade should end at the off hand), but even they all disagreed half of the time. Even the ones from the same period. :)

--- End quote ---

Sorry, I don't remember for sure. Vadi and Capoferro both sound like they might be it, I think John Clements quoted them when he gave a class I took?  If I had to guess between the two, I would lean towards Vadi, since it was a longsword class. If it wasn't Clements, it might have been at Longpoint 2011. That's the only two classes I've taken thus far.

The only fechtbuch I have is Flos Duellatorum by Fiore, the others are all modern authors, though maybe they quoted someone too.

Sir Matthew:
I guess I must be contrary to most of the masters then, I prefer shorter blades. I also prefer slashing blades to thrusting blades. My favorite sword is the Falchion, it's primarly a slasher but the point wasn't totally ignored making it work for thrusting too. I'm also not much for fighting fair, ussually I get in real close and throw in punches and grapples too, but we are replicating battlefield fighting not the dueling or gentleman's sword fighting  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version