Main > The Armoury

Peening vs Threaded tangs

<< < (4/7) > >>

Sir William:
I do recall that- but thanks for the reminder.  We're spoiled, are we not?  We have bladesmiths that do it all...and we have choices based on any number of factors!

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---We're spoiled, are we not?
--- End quote ---

Sadly yes, that is a bad thing.

On the other hand, we all have the rare freedom of telling our bladesmiths what type of sword we want.  That freedom doesn't come easily.

Sir Wolf:
:) i have a viking sword that had a threaded pommel with a nut. i took teh nut off, cut down the thread a bit and peened it down. suckers never coming off unless the rat tale breaks where the thread is welded onto the tang.

Sir William:
I had a nice looking viking sword once...brass handled too.  I was not in love with it at the time...then I saw someone else (Ulrich I think) with a similar one and found myself wanting it back.  Weird, huh.  lol

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-06-15, 18:43:09 ---I have a question about swords- I had read somewhere that swords were crafted for a specific user; one would commission a blade with measurements that coincided with the measurements of arm, hand as well as fighting style.  Is this so?

I was thinking of having a custom blade commissioned and wondered about that; it brought the question to mind because there is a picture from the knighting ceremony where I'm just able to get my sword into the scabbard but it felt a bit too long for me.

--- End quote ---

I don't recall where I saw it, or if it was even historically based, but there is a "proper" size sword for each person. If I recall correctly, rest the sword in it's scabbard on the ground, on it's tip, and the pommel should be within 1" of your armpit.

The logic behind it is that some transitions between stances, unterhaus, etc, would catch the blade on the ground if the length was too long, and you'd lose reach if it was too short. And reach is one of the key factors to winning, so to give up reach is to put yourself at a disadvantage before the battle began.

I vaguely, think, that I sort of remember something else similar to the hilt of the sword should be the size of your forearm (elbow to wrist), but I am MUCH more fuzzy on that than the "overall length" measurement guide.

I don't remember anything about the hand or fighting style playing a part in the sword, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version