Main > The Armoury

Peening vs Threaded tangs

(1/7) > >>

Sir Edward:

An interesting article by Albion about why they chose to hot-peen their tangs.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords-functional.htm

Sir William:
I read that years ago and it makes perfect sense, not just from a historical stance (although I am sure they might've tried the threads had they thought of them- they are a modern invention, no?) but from a safety standpoint.

I'm not all that enthused about the sleeved/threaded pommels either (a la earlier Atrim, Tinker, H/T or VA/Atrim offerings) but they do have their uses (like cross, grip and/or pommel customizations/changeouts) and if the sleeved nut is recessed then it makes for a better aesthetic, imho.

Overall, I prefer a hot-peened assembly, as it was done in history.

Sir Edward:
Yeah, most of the sword types they're replicating were peened historically. Though there are some cases of threaded pommels, I'm just not sure what period. I remember hearing about cases in judicial duels where the rules called for each opponent to throw a weapon at the beginning of the fight, so some folks would unscrew the pommel and throw that.

Sir William:
Really?  I have never heard of that...why not throw an ax or dagger?  What happened to the weapon sans pommel?

Sir Edward:

I'm sure Bill could elaborate, I think I heard it from him.

The idea was that you'd come into the fight with a couple of weapons, and would have to throw something. So by tossing the pommel, you could keep your dagger ready for when the fight gets past the swords and down to grappling. I'm guessing these cases had the sword specifically designed to easily lose the pommel and still be held together. But I don't know for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version