Main > The Armoury

GDFB 14th Century Guantlets

<< < (5/6) > >>

Sir Wolf:
i am wondering if we could fix them for you Das Bill. putting in solid rivets with washers and making "sliding room" in the rivet hole if needed for better articulation.

Sir Brian:
Well one favorable endorsement and one unfavorable endorsement.  ??? Since they are already purchased and in route I might as well try them out and see if they offer any better protection than my lacrosse gloves which is what I’ve been wearing the times I sustained notable hand injuries. I’ve found the leather clamshell gauntlets I have offers enough mobility but the shoddy pop rivet construction are insufficient to withstand much punishment. Yet for the expensive gauntlets I just repaired a friend’s pair of these MT fingered gauntlets,

And then tried them out on my pell and found them no more advantageous in mobility. They were comfortable and the articulation was excellent but not worth the extra expenditure at this juncture of my financial standing IMO. Perhaps someday my situation will improve and I would be able to afford the luxury of what would be deemed adequate gauntlets for WMA, then again I could also awaken from my stupor and abandon such frivolous pursuits altogether.  :-\

Sir William:
Wake up from the stupor?  Heaven forbid!  W/out this, life is most mundane for me...I won't say joyless, but definitely mundane.

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
I suppose the answer is that unless you can afford to have a pair of gauntlets tailor made to your specifications, then there is a certain amount of pot luck with ordering off the peg on the net. Ideally you should try before you buy.

G

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Brian on 2011-06-21, 18:35:59 ---Well one favorable endorsement and one unfavorable endorsement.  ???
--- End quote ---

I thought he said he had similar ones, but not the same ones? I assumed that meant gauntlets with the same design, but not the GDFB ones?

--- Quote --- I’ve found the leather clamshell gauntlets I have offers enough mobility but the shoddy pop rivet construction are insufficient to withstand much punishment.
--- End quote ---

I think you'll find these to only be slightly better in that regard, sadly.

--- Quote ---And then tried them out on my pell and found them no more advantageous in mobility. They were comfortable and the articulation was excellent but not worth the extra expenditure at this juncture of my financial standing IMO. Perhaps someday my situation will improve and I would be able to afford the luxury of what would be deemed adequate gauntlets for WMA, then again I could also awaken from my stupor and abandon such frivolous pursuits altogether.  :-\

--- End quote ---

Well, my friend Jorg has a saying: "I'm too poor to buy cheap safety equipment." If you spend a hundred here, a hundred there, you end up in the long run spending the same as if you'd bought nice ones in the first place. Now, having said that, I fully appreciate just how expensive armor is, which is why things like lacrosse gloves are a great intermediary device. You might also want to look into plastic gauntlets, which are much cheaper than steel. (such as the ones made by Egg Armory) But if you want steel specifically, there's simply no choice besides expensive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version