Main > The Armoury

Padding for Helms

(1/2) > >>

Sir William:
I just came across Sir James' (Barker) website and did not realize it was him til I stared at it for a while...anyway, he has just completed this back in Feb 2011 and I wanted to know if anyone knew where I could get one of my own or have it made?  Also, how do you get it to stay?  Glue?  Rivets?  A combo of the two, or somewhat else?

I'm assuming Sir James made his...well, I've not the required skill so I'm going to have to pay for it.  Let me know, thanks.

Thorsteinn:
This is a suspension liner that is held into the helm via being sewn into the bottom of the helm and the top is drawn together. I have heard that cotton, bamboo, and balled up horsehair are the best for stuffing the channels with.

However there is a second option if the liner JUST fits into your helm and that is to merely leave it in there with only the chin strap holes holding it in. At that point it is best to use one of the above with some sorbothane around the inside of the brim and over the top to help with the odd hard hit.

-Ivan

Sir Wolf:
http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19588&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Sir Brian:
I started a topic about these three years ago, I checked the links I referenced then and they are still good.  ;)

I made my own by basically stitching equal channels into the pattern and then overstuffed it with batting then sewed it close. I stitched the Velcro onto it so I can easily remove the liner and wash it as needed which I have done dozens of time now…I assure you my liners are nowhere near as white as in those pictures! My great helm padding is very snug, actually too snug to wear a coif so consider that if you elect to wear a coif with your helm! Good luck!  :)
http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,52.0.html

Sir Patrick:
I made mine the same way.  As far as attaching it, I kind of cheated because I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my helm.  Instead, I took a couple of 1 1/2 washers and bent them over about 20 degrees and then attached them to the upper edge inside the hem with J&B Liquiweld.  Bend the washers over just enough so they sit fairly flush to the helm, but you can still thread the ties of your liner through the holes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version