Main > The Armoury

Ok, now I need with what sword to go with My Harness! :'(

<< < (9/11) > >>

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Das Bill on 2011-05-22, 17:35:14 ---
You probably won't like this one. It has a very far forward point of balance that doesn't appeal to most modern people, though to be honest it isn't totally out of the question for historical examples. Aesthetically it is only okay, historically speaking.

--- End quote ---

I'll add a few comments on this one. I agree with what Bill is saying about it with regards to the current model. But I'll also add that it's really not bad for the price, since it's a relatively inexpensive sword (especially if you can get it at a significant discount like I did). The blade, while a little thick and not very sharp, has a really good combination of flex and stiffness. I've bent mine over by 90 degrees and had it spring true. I'm not brave enough to try that with my more expensive swords. And despite that flexibility, it's not whippy.

I have the older model (I'm going to sell it or something soon). In the older model, the balance point is about 9" from the guard. It's closer to 5" on the newer models. Also the older model had a hollow pommel, which not only contributed to the poor balance, but also was a weak point, and the peen would often break. This was also fixed in the newer model.

However if you just want it for looks, I'd be happy to sell you mine. :)

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2011-05-22, 18:12:19 ---It's closer to 5" on the newer models. Also the older model had a hollow pommel, which not only contributed to the poor balance, but also was a weak point, and the peen would often break. This was also fixed in the newer model.
--- End quote ---

Ah, I wasn't aware they'd updated it. That's good to hear.

Joshua Santana:
Das Bill & Sir Edward:  I thank you for your input into these blades.

I have agreed to a Full Late 15th Century Italian Harness and hence (with the monies) order the following:

How would this do for an awesome set!

Sir William:
I'll echo Bill's commentary regarding DSA swords...they look nice from a distance.  I had one of their earlier Ranger swords...at over 5lbs it looked and handled like you'd expect- maybe not necessarily a boat anchor, but a clunky piece of overbuilt steel designed for repeated bashing.  It was tough and ugly...considering what you're spending on the harness, pretty much any DSA you could choose would not be a welcome addition.

Joshua Santana:
Sir William: I thank you for your input into the DSA warning, most helpful.

The new sword set is the one I previously posted in order to make myself a list of what swords to order as well to show that I have listened to the counsel of my elder brethren and the invaluable advice from Das Bill.

I have chosen what Sword to be first "The Lion Blade," it is Albion's Landgraf!

Now for those who don't know about this nomination, Since I have penned the title "Knight of The Lion Blade" from my Coat of Arms which will be posted in the heraldry thread, I have thought as to which sword would best symbolize my title.  After looking hard at many different models, I deem the Landgraf to be the better choice for my service as a Knight For Hire (all thanks to Das Bill!).  For the Renaissance Fair version of "The Lion Blade": Albion's Fiore, for HEMA Studies: Albion's Sempach.  For the Quest (personal): Albion's Squire Line Late 15th Century Bastard Sword.

This may seem either crazy/insane or weird but along the way, I have come to realize that "The Lion Blade" would end up being a couple of swords that would best symbolize my penned title.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version