Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

<< < (16/24) > >>

Das Bill:
I just got back from a research trip in Europe. I just spent hours examining up close some of the original pieces that have inspired the modern copies in this very thread. :)

--- Quote from: SirNathanQ on 2011-05-19, 01:45:32 ---Since the most comprehensive sources seem to come from Germany, I'd go with the Gothic Myself.
--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that though the Germanic areas may have the most surviving literature, these arts were widespread, and "Germany" as we know it didn't actually exist. :) You would have seen both the "German" and "Italian" fighting arts used all throughout the Holy Roman empire. Plus, there's also the issue that so many of the armors were imported. (i.e. "Italian-styled" harnesses made in Germany for Italian clientele, and "German-styled" armors made in Italy for German customres) So really, you can easily justify Italian armor with German martial arts.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2011-05-16, 02:25:09 ---I am seeking to spend around $3,000 to $5,000 or even $2,000 minimum.  This leaves with the choices of Merc's Tailors or Ice Falcon Armory after comparing the full harness prices from both armories.  (And Thank You Sir Wolf!  I hugely appreciate you're help)

--- End quote ---

If you're willing to spend that, I would actually refrain from Ice Falcon, and while Merc's Tailor is good, they might not be your best option for what you want. Both are good for the money, but Merc's Tailor is meant for spending on a budget (and therefore will be "off-the-racK" rather than perfectly fitted), and Ice Falcon is really closer to fantasy than historical (and it sounds like that matters to you). I would personally go for one of the custom makers. For example, Best Armour has some full harnesses of the exact styles you're looking at that fit well within your range, and they will make it to your measurements (a VERY important thing with full armour). They aren't the best in terms of time management, but they're a good example of what you can get for that price range.

Das Bill:

--- Quote from: Joshua Santana on 2011-05-20, 22:38:09 ---Does this mean that I will have to purchase this?

and this?

--- End quote ---

You need either/or, but not both. The cotte already has the leg points, and is appropriate for later 15th c. harnesses. If you're wearing a padded gambeson, though, you'll want the pourpoint intead for underneath of it.

--- Quote ---And another thing to consider, supposed if I got the Italian Harness, would these help at all?   Or should I get this?

or this?

--- End quote ---

I really dislike those. They're bulky, and the cut of the design is weird so that they don't really look natural when worn. I ordered one when they first came out and instantly returned it. They're okay, but I think you can get better for not much more. (e.g. the Revival Clothing model)

Sir Wolf:
http://www.flarcheveque.com/Homeb.html contact francois. he is canada's macpherson. REALLY good stuff.

Sir Wolf:
http://www.armuredube.com/armuredube.com/Accueil.html this is eric. i think francois learned form him. very good too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version