Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

<< < (6/24) > >>

Sir Edward:

So far I've been pretty pleased with the GDFB helmets. They're not perfect, but they're great for the price. I haven't handled that one in particular, but so far GDFB hasn't disappointed me with their helms.

Sir William:
I have a GDFB Phrygian helm (the Normans would've used this helm while fighting in and around the Italian city states or so I'm told) - it is heavy, well made - not the prettiest but serviceable.  I think they're all 14 gauge, at least mine is.  The nasal hangs below my chin which restricts important stuff like drinking and eating so I don't wear it.

Das Bill:
Hi Joshua,
I don't know if I'm too late here, but I should point out that most of those Mercenary Tailor pieces are not actually gothic. Some of them don't even go together (such as those gauntlets, which belong on a much later harness).

What I recommend: Don't rely on modern armorer's websites to decide what you want. Look at historical images, look at photos from museums (which can have their own flaws sometimes), and occassionally use modern pieces for inspiration.

While Allan at Merc Tailor is fantastic and one of the best customer service guys in the arms and armor world, bar none, most of his stuff isn't really the high gothic style, even with fluting. I also question the sallet and bevor that they sell. It's based off an original, but I suspect that original is actually a Victorian piece, as I've never seen a sallet that looks like it.

Joshua Santana:
No Das Bill you are not too late!

Thank you for the advice and I have been looking at examples from the fechtbuchs in terms of harness styles.

I myself like the German Gothic Armor, but recently with utilizing Merc's Tailor's pieces, I am able to come up with an Italian Style harness that existed in the 15th Century.

Here an example from Paulus Hector Mair

If you look at the previous posts where I posted a jousting armet sold at Ice Falcon Armory, that would work with the armor pieces at Merc's Tailors.

Never the less, thanks for the advice.  As of now I am only planning and designing my harness.

Joshua Santana:
file:///I:/De%20arte%20athletica%20II%20-%20BSB%20Cod.icon.%20393(2/bsb00007894_00489.jpg

Here is a better example what I am trying get at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version