Main > The Armoury

Help on Gothic Harness!

<< < (3/24) > >>

Sir Rodney:
I've had fun watching your thought process and harness develop, thank you for sharing!  I do not know enough about the period in question to assist you with the harness you desire, but I can comment on makers.  I'm glad you have chosen Allan at The Mercenaries Tailor for some of your kit.  My experience with him was wonderful and I've never read a contrary word on this forum, the Armour Archive or myArmoury.  My breastplate and small besegues are perfect and were delivered a day earlier than promised!

My comments regarding The Mercenaries Tailor

I will offer you a word of caution regarding Illusion Armoring.  Let me begin by saying I've never had a problem with the quality of their products.  My greaves and sabatons turned out very well and are built to withstand SCA rattan combat.  As a matter of fact, my greaves were dented for the first time recently after several years of usage.  It took a 7.5 foot polearm swing through a 180 degree arc to dent them and I don't even have a bruise to show for it!  (Yes, that is an illegal SCA target area and an illegal swing, but that's another matter entirely.  >:( )  Their wait times are what concerns me as they can be quite lengthy and often fail to meet quoted target dates.  I encourage you to do your own research on AA and myA.

Illusion Armoring Sabatons, a mini-review

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sir Rodney:
I just ran across this post on myArmoury which dovetails into my previous commentary.  Scroll down to Guy H.'s post from May 9th (yesterday).

Sir Robert:
For my two cents: I agree with Sir Edward:

"I would definitely go with larger pauldrons
Plate armor that covers the shoulders.
too, rather than the simple spaulders
Plate armor that covers the shoulders.
. The spaulders were much more common earlier, such as in the 14th. By the time you get into the high gothic armors, larger pauldrons with fluting would have been common."

The rest of your choices are very nice but the original pauldrons you selected are very plain and older looking. You need something grand, and while I like the second set of the more elaborate you selected I think the first is more with your style.

Joshua Santana:
I thank you all for your helpful advice and words of caution!

To everyone's relief, after careful consideration, I have then decided that to settle this headache of choosing what period.

It is German Gothic, the design (drum roll please...)

The German, High Gothic Placard/Brigandine Design.

This to me is the only thing that comes close to the flutting design that High Gothic Harnesses have.

So, here we go again starting from the helmet

the bevor

the pauldrons

the placard breastplate

the brigandine armor (also from Merc Tailor's)

the arm harness (15th Century arms)

the gauntlets

the leg harness (the 15/16th Century Legs)

and the greaves (two plate greaves)

Once again, I couldn't have made this decision without your guidance and experience.

Sir William:
We look forward to seeing you in it, Sir Joshua...until then, let the drooling commence!  Nice setup by the way...I'd been eyeing his cased/fitted greaves for some time now.  Thinking of letting the splinted bracers/greaves I currently wear to my sister...if she can wear them, that is.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version