Main > The Courtyard

LF good manual for English Quarterstaff.

(1/4) > >>

Thorsteinn:
Is there a good manual out there (non-Chiv Bookshelf) that shows how to do English Quarterstaff?

One of the instructors for my local HEMA Alliance school asked me if there was anything I would be really interested in and this is it. My staff work is sorely lacking and I could use some help.

Got idea's?

-Ivan

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-03-27, 18:22:38 ---...My staff work is sorely lacking and I could use some help.
Got idea's?
-Ivan

--- End quote ---

Please Ivan for the love of all that is holy do not tempt us with such openings! ;)

Sir James A:
I have not seen any extant manuals about it, I would wager the best bet would be perhaps amazon.com or ebay?

Thorsteinn:
@Sir Brian: Bring out the whiskey mother. I'm feeling frisky mother. Bring out the prize ram.....

OK, so a quick book search on Amazon called up these two. Have any of you read them? What was your thoughts?

The Fighting Staff by Dwight C. McLemore

and

Fighting With The Quarterstaff by David Lindholm

-Ivan

BTW Fun Fact: Near as one of our guys can tell, Japanese Yari form & Italian Glaive form are identical. Figures. Humans wielding a 7 ft pokey that's a bit cutty too can only move so many ways, and the forms have a lot in common with staff fighting. Just like spear has a lot in common with staff fighting.

John:
I own both of those books. They are both good.

Lindholm's book interprets various western masters from medieval to early 20th century), and has photo sequences. It has a lot of short sequences, but spends less time on the basics. The exception to this is the stuff at the end of the manual from the Boy Scout tradition of staff work (circa 1900 for that chapter). This book also explains the context around the different master's styles. If you've spent more than 10 hours training with staves, get this one first.

McLemore's book combines western and eastern traditions, and teaches them as a coherent system. This is an excellent book for learning the basics. This a is a particularly good book for an instructor who wants to teach staff fighting.

In summary, buy both of them.

In addition, check out the videos at http://www.quarterstaff.org/ where they demonstrate a series of solo and partner routines.

Every expert I've read says that staff work is similar the world over. As you say, a stick is a stick is a stick. And regardless of skin colour, bones will break the same. So also look at other cultures staff books and videos. There is a caveat with this, diet. For example, for hundreds of years the Japanese had a restricted diet which limited their growth. During this time they developed martial techniques that suited short legs and long torsos. Possibly this was an issue in Europe after the famines at the beginning of the 14th century?

Another issue to consider, some teachers of martial arts teach footwork that is designed for the flat floors of a training hall. This can lead to a gliding style of footwork. All good until you go outside into the real world full of tree roots, ditches, and stones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version