Main > The Courtyard

The Iron Chicken stance has got to go (SCA).

<< < (2/2)

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-03-24, 23:28:14 ---They had an awareness that this would be training for war, and even baring that you wouldn't put your bare hand hanging out where it could be hit even accidentally.
--- End quote ---

I think you've answered your own question right there - to most of us, it's a game. To them, it was a mild distraction and test of skill for the life and death battles they would fight.

Thorsteinn:
From the SCA Marshals Handbook:

III. CONVENTIONS OF COMBAT
-B. Behavior on the Field
--6. Any behavior that takes deliberate advantage of an opponent’s chivalry or safety-consciousness, or that takes deliberate unfair advantage of an opponent, is prohibited.
Western Customs:
14. Extend the utmost courtesy to your opponent. You do each other honor by
meeting on the field. If there is question regarding a point of honor (such as blow
strength), give your opponent the benefit of the doubt as far as is reasonable.

V. ACKNOWLEDGMENT OF BLOWS
-B. When judging the effect of blows, all fighters are presumed to be fully armored. Special tournaments or combat rules may redefine what areas of the body are armored, and to what extent, so long as all the participants are made aware of the special conditions prior to the start of combat.
---1. All “fully armored” fighters are presumed to be wearing a chain hauberk over a padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg defenses and an open-faced iron helm with a nasal. The helm may be presumed by Kingdom convention to include a very light chain mail drape, permitting vision and resisting cuts by the mere touch of a bladed weapon.

Edit 3/28/11: I have just talked to my Step-dad (Sir Connor M. FitzJames), and he has told me that while it is not expressly stated in the rules, it has been interpreted in the past to be part of the sword by Kingdom EM's.

Here's MY take: If you use the front and side part of the basket hilt that cover's the fist to repeatedly & purposefully block my shot and/or deny me a legal target area you are taking advantage of my Honor, and are insulting all those wonderful folks who have taken such wonderful steps to make armour on the field more historic. You are saying that you just don't care if you are taking advantage of an unfair ruling. A ruling a man with a gauntlet & cross guard just can't.

Now, do not take my posts to mean that I dislike basket hilts. I don't. I love 'em. I use 'em. I think they are one of the best way's to get folks on the field with safe hands, and I don't blame anyone for making good single sword gauntlets the last thing they improve on their kit. Hey I know that good SS gauntlets are expensive and hard to get. I know that some folks mundane jobs depend on them having healthy hands on Monday, and that, for them, basket hilts are the only way to go.

But what I do not agree with is having someone use their opponents Honor & Training against them by gaming the Rules. It isn't right, it isn't fair, and it isn't Honorable or Chivalrous.

If you do it to me then I will concede the Fight and let you take your hollow Victory, knowing that you will leave your Renown on the Field.

-Ivan

(Note: I am attaching a pic of basket hilts & crosshilts to help explain my post & my thinking.
Grey is Sword area hat may be struck, blocked with or anviled dead as appropriate.
Blue is illegal target area (the hand), and should not be struck, or purposefully blocked with. (Remember: Basket hilts did not occur for most of our period on war swords, especially not for 'Viking Age' types.)
Red is equivalent & valid parrying/blocking area.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version