Main > The Armoury

New Year, New Kits

<< < (12/13) > >>

Sir William:
IIRC, there was a 'renaissance' if you will, of Roman armor, at least in style in the late 14th C maybe?  Sir Wolf will of course correct me if I am mistaken. 

Sir Wolf:
only in paintings. i dont know of any actual finds of it other than victorian stuff and stuff people have made based on writings or paintings.

Sir James A:
Only thing I can think of is that mail dates back to the romans, albeit not head to toe like in the 14th century. Or that the early transitional plate, a solid breastplate, with schnbalds, cops and vambrace, is similar in "theme" to the roman musculata cuirass and vambraces/greaves, but roman armor was bronze/brass (I always mix 'em up! I think Bronze?) and the shaping was different from normal 14th century armor. I'm stretching with that, I've never read it mentioned anywhere though.

Edit: Vaguely kinda sorta like this guy if you squint a lot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/293/48644oplitismi9.jpg/sr=1

Sir Wolf:
lol that guy is ancient Greece lol. he ranges like 400 BC time frame. lol

SirNathanQ:
Guys, I would keep the antiquity separate from the medieval when it comes to kits. You have to remember, many of our images of period armour come from bibles, and accounts of histories. Those are the medieval depictions of the Romans and the Greeks. There was very little consideration beyond the knowledge of scholars that the peoples then would wear different armour, and clothing beyond for what was then the modern day. The little idea of emulating different styles of antiquity first really shows up in the 15th century. About then you do see the occasional armour made in a "roman" fashion, but even then it's almost always little decorative and stylistic elements. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version