Main > The Armoury

New Year, New Kits

(1/13) > >>

Sir Robert:
The off season is a time I often turn to making new things, this year I re-strapped my whole kit due to some issues last season. Once done I have now started building at least three new kits, one more complicated (more articulation points), a new leather/stainless kit, and one for my squire….mmm that’s a lot really. So far I have the Breastplate of one done, the backplate nearly complete, but there are still lots to do. Its still fun though. Working with leather will be new to me at this scale, so any insights would be appreciated once that project gets going, I am thinking of using copper or brass rivets, but that’s far off.
I have seen the gauntlet questions, I have been toying with that as well, but mine are plate, Sir Brian did an excellent job on his. I thought I would start this thread and start posting pictures of my project as it come along and welcome comments or suggestions. So here we go, I’ll try and get pictures up tomorrow.

I was also thinking, that if any of our newer members would like information or pointers about building their own kit, this would be a great thread. I build transitional kits, so a combination of plate, chain, and sometimes leather, mostly 14th-15th century. So by all means anyone who likes chime in.

Sir William:
I look forward to this myself.

Sir Rodney:
Great!  I love DIY stuff and can't wait to see your projects. :)

Sir Robert:
Attached are some pictures of my new kit, so far the breastplate Front and back,

The front follows my normal pattern but doubles the lams and adds a wider skirt.

I am not sure yet if the wider skirt base is a good idea as it can limit your bending but it can be trimmed if needed.

The back is nearly completed with the exception of beading, adding the shoulder closures, and polishing.

Both will still need strapping byt I typically do that during assembly so we are a ways off from that yet.

Sir Brian:
Excellent!

Man we are such a blessed forum to have some many talented members! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version