"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
The Courtyard / Re: Fighting in armor
« Last post by Patrick on 2017-12-24, 23:08:54 »
Can't tell you anything besides that the mail is riveted: here's a link to what I ordered. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2486&name=DFNM+Chain+Mail+Hauberk+%2D+Dome+Riveted+Flat+Rings
The Armoury / Re: Starting my kit
« Last post by Sir Wolf on 2017-12-23, 19:14:44 »
he is, just email him. he doenst update his website. you may need to poke his butt for him to take a commission lol.
The Courtyard / Re: Fighting in armor
« Last post by Sir Wolf on 2017-12-23, 19:11:38 »
what are your components made of? spring steel? riveted mail? etc etc
The Courtyard / Fighting in armor
« Last post by Patrick on 2017-12-23, 05:56:18 »
I am 5'7 and weigh 170 pounds, which are distributed pretty evenly throughout my body. I am naturally strong but tire easily because I do not get out often and probably because I am slightly overweight. Wearing a ~40-50 pound knee-length and long-sleeved steel mail hauberk, ~5-6 pound helmet, ~1-2 pound gambeson, ~2-3 pound mittens on both hands is physically taxing, and since I plan to also buy mail chausses, I should expect to add ~25-35 pounds too. The mail is not perfectly fitted and sags slightly without tapering on the arms, but it fits well enough to use without embarrassment in my opinion. I wear a belt to help distribute the weight on my hips but I can't help but feel there have to be other ways to make the armor feel lighter on me. 

What I can't do:
- Remove or add rings of mail
- Order a new/custom fitted mail hauberk
- Ignore it (I bought the armor for reenactment fighting, and currently I can barely raise my arms to swing a sword after 10-15 swings)

What are things I can do to feel more nimble and energized in my armor? What exercises? What are some extra tricks to distribute the weight?

The Great Hall / Re: Hello to all!
« Last post by Sir Brian on 2017-12-08, 08:31:33 »
Welcome  and  well  met !
The Great Hall / Re: Hail Fellows
« Last post by Sir Brian on 2017-12-08, 08:30:36 »
Welcome  and  well  met !
The Round Table / Re: Facebook Page and Blog Announcement!
« Last post by Joshua Santana on 2017-12-06, 21:14:55 »
I've since gotten on FB and have meticulously chosen who I have as "friends." I did "like" your page and have read some of your commentary on Sir Charney's treatise. I "unfollow" or "unfriend" people who are always ranting about politics or religion, are always posting what they happen to be eating at the moment, and/or are aggressive personalities that seem to be arguing with everyone about everything. I do enjoy a couple of pages devoted to chivalry and I enjoy keeping up with friends and acquaintances who are doing similar things: HEMA, chivalry, enjoying life.

I want to thank you for your time in reading my posts on what I get out of Sir Charney's treatise and let me know what you think as I am open to discussion. 

And you echo what I do with facebook as I have managed by notification to show me what is important to me and not putting up things that are of no use to me and it helps with time management.  My purpose is to push or "preach" what is beneficial to everyone (ethical instructions & encouragement) and that is why I post many memes or pictures with quotes from De Charney, the famous Japanese Martial Arts masters etc. 

If you're on facebook send me a friend request so you can benefit from my posts and i want to add that unlike a majority of people on facebook who act normal or celebrity like on their pages but act in contrast in real life; I practice what i preach. 
The Round Table / Re: Pursuing the Knightly Arts
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-12-06, 16:40:55 »
Awesome guys! I got a chance to hang with them at the KC tournament. I promised them a beer...
« Last post by jason77 on 2017-12-06, 16:19:50 »
I've since gotten on FB and have meticulously chosen who I have as "friends." I did "like" your page and have read some of your commentary on Sir Charney's treatise. I "unfollow" or "unfriend" people who are always ranting about politics or religion, are always posting what they happen to be eating at the moment, and/or are aggressive personalities that seem to be arguing with everyone about everything. I do enjoy a couple of pages devoted to chivalry and I enjoy keeping up with friends and acquaintances who are doing similar things: HEMA, chivalry, enjoying life.
« Last post by Joshua Santana on 2017-12-03, 22:51:00 »
Unfortunately I am not on Facebook as I find it to be very un-chivalrous. However, perhaps your page will be a beacon of light for some people.

That is the point of the page, blog and Youtube channel, to be the beacon of Warrior Wisdom and Chivalry.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10