"You will never do anything in this world without courage. It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor."
                -- James Allen

Author Topic: Questions for VAF folks  (Read 4275 times)

Sir Ancelyn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Lux Lucet in Tenebris
    • Thoughts from Firethorn
Questions for VAF folks
« on: 2011-03-17, 01:21:58 »
Yes, I haven't posted much lately. Gonna try to become more active in the forum.

I am a few weeks away from completing the Preparatory class at VAF for historical swordsmanship. I've enjoyed the classes and intend to continue, although this may tap into my ability to buy armor . . . that and renovations to my house. :-( Probbably won't have much to wear to VARF. Maybee MDRF.

So here are my questions:

Should I enroll in the Tuesday at 9:00PM two handed sword class or the Saturday at 9:00 AM class. I am not trying to pick teacher fights, I just want advice.
Also, should I just join and pay month to month or should I do it yearly, six months? What are my options?
Are basic gloves more cost effective, and safer for my hands that leather gloves offered by the school? (you would not believe how prone to hand whacking the classes I've been in are. OUCH!) Should I just buy a pair of motorcycle gauntlet gloves?
Back zip or front zip jacket? I'm thinking front zip since that allows me to put it on by myself (out litttle boy can dress himself now Hubert!)

Thanks,
Adam

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Questions for VAF folks
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-17, 03:05:38 »

Hi there! I'm sure Bill or Pamela will have more and better advice for you, but I can chime in on a few points.

Month-to-month vs Annual really only matters in terms of whether you can afford one more easily than the other, in terms of the timing. The annual cost is the same, and the annual up-front method gives you a little more equipment credit. Otherwise it's basically the same.

Front-closure for a jacket is fine. The main reason this isn't done for sport fencing is because it's very easy to thrust into the seam with a foil/epee. But with longsword this is rarely an issue. Back-closure of course gives you the least chance of a thrust sneaking in, but it's hard to beat the convenience of front-closure.

For gloves, regular fencing gloves are usually just fine for drills and the like. If you start doing free-play at speed, you'll probably want to look into some lacrosse or hockey gloves to get you started. Cheap ones are pretty easy to get.

Anyway, I'll let the actual coaches take it from here. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-17, 16:11:55 »

Hello Adam!

I'm glad you want to continue.  :)  As far as Tuesday vs. Saturday, sign up for the class that you know you will be able to attend on a regular basis.  For instance if you have a lot of frequent Saturday morning commitments, then sign up for the Tuesday class.  If you have a job that frequently requires you to work late, then sign up for the Saturday class.  I don't know the make-up of the students on the Tuesday evening class, but the instructor is the head of our program after all.   :D  Saturday's class has a good group of enthusiastic students.  There are a handful that like to stay after class and continue to play.  Also, make sure to take advantage of the Sunday supervised free fencing!

As far as hand protection, you could even go with a pair of lacrosse gloves.  They provide more padding than your standard fencing gloves.

I'm not going to give you straight advice on membership issues other  than to tell you to read EVERYTHING CAREFULLY.  Do not sign until you are comfortable and feel that you have all questions answered.  It is a year (or 6 month) contract after all.  The contract is also automatically renewed at the end of the term.  Email the business office to get your questions answered.  fence@vafinc.com  That way you have all of your answers in writing.

As far as jackets, what ever you feel comfortable wearing!

See you Saturday!

~Coach Pamela
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-17, 20:14:50 »
What they said. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck