Miscellaneous > The Sallyport

Ancient Knightly Wisdom (True Quote, no matter the source)

<< < (2/12) > >>

Sir Edward:

There's a historical quote that's similar. I forget where it's from or the exact wording. I think I heard it recently on the Chivalry-Today podcast... it said something along the lines of whether or not you're a noble, a knight, or whatever, if you act like a churl, you're a churl. :)

Sir William:
Here's one that applies to all mankind.

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside all people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

--uncredited source

Thorsteinn:
Not so ancient but...

"When you go out to fight do you pick people you think you can beat or people you think might beat you? Your answer to that question will determine a lot about you." --Nissan Maxima (of the Armour Archive)

Sir William:
Been a long time since I was in a fight but judging from my track record, I'd pick people I was sure could beat me good.  Turns out, I was right, they could.  lol

Sir Edward:

Well, I think it depends. In all the HEMA activities I do, I really like to fight people who are at my level or better, because it pushes me to do my best and forces me to improve.

If I were at war, I'd go for the lowest-hanging fruit first if the situation called for it, since that's just good tactics. Chivalry doesn't demand that we lower our chances for victory. Quite the opposite. There's more to prowess than how hard you can hit. It's easy to forget that Chivalry and Prowess also include striving for excellence and victory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version