"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Black Death, the 2010 Film  (Read 11243 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Black Death, the 2010 Film
« on: 2011-03-10, 15:48:32 »
I just caught this movie OnDemand when it hit the theaters - I thoroughly enjoyed it, although the ending was not to my liking.  I'll not say more til you've seen it...but this is a movie you will WANT to see.  Imagine Season of the Witch but with much better acting.  This movie stars Sean Bean and Eddie Reddmayne, among others.  Everyone knows Sean from LOTR, Eddie may not be as well known but he did an excellent turn in Pillars of the Earth and he was just as good here.

The weapons, armor, garb, locations, the people- all of them appropriately gritty, dirty- you definitely get the feel that this is NOT set during modern times...the fighting is brutal, as are some of the other scenes- some of which had me cringing for a bit.

http://www.blackdeathfilm.com/

It'll be added to the collection when it comes out on DVD.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-10, 15:52:03 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Black Death, the 2010 Film
« Reply #1 on: 2011-03-10, 16:00:09 »

Interesting, it looks like it's in a very limited theatrical release starting tomorrow? Cool. Might have to wait for the DVD though, unless it goes into wide distribution.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-03-10, 17:17:57 »
ya not sure what to think  of it. might be worth seeing or might be worth washing my eyes out with bleach hehhehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-03-10, 18:05:54 »
I will say this...we all know each other well enough to know that we have similar tastes in a lot of things, movies included.  You needn't take my word for it, but I assure you- you'll not be so disappointed as you were in Robin Hood and Season of the Witch.

I await your reviews!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2011-03-10, 19:18:07 »
oh wait i just saw the robin hood. ug it was long and drawn out and kinda boring to some point hehehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-03-10, 21:54:36 »
I just saw it again last weekend...I have to tell you, once you get past the inconsistencies and the expectation that its another 'Robin Hood and his Merry Men' tale, it was enjoyable.  Again, looking for historicity or realism is setting oneself up for disappointment...I liked it enough to see it again and I'll probably watch it again if its on tv.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2011-03-10, 22:08:21 »

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the new Robin Hood. It's a little slower paced than a lot of Hollywood movies, and it presents an alternate origin story, but I thought it was cool how they worked it into the circumstances of Richard the Lionheart's death instead of having him show up in a "surprise" ending. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-03-10, 22:20:58 »
Right!  Not sure I would've chosen Danny Huston for Richard...I've seen his work before, he's a good actor, but he lacks the charisma I would've looked for had I been casting for the part.  He was about the right age and he had the bedraggled look of a man on long campaign...but then, the choice for the Marshal was decidedly underwhelming for me as well.  William Hurt?  Really?

I would rather have seen Liam Neeson as the Marshal...not sure about Richard.  I thought Iain Glen would be good, even if he already played him a bit in KoH.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-01, 05:26:35 »
Ok, just finished watching Black Death and I wasn't too thrilled with it (especially the ending).  The acting was good, but I wasn't exactly sure what the message was they were trying to convey (again, the ending really threw me off).  Seemed like a lot of pain and suffering on all sides for what amounted to nothing in the end.  Sean Bean was great (of course) and the fighting was down and dirty, but I still felt let down. :(
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-01, 14:57:33 »
There were no happy endings except when the black plague actually ended.  The young man was further disillusioned by what he saw so he gave in to his baser instincts and became a crusader against witchcraft, even though deep down he was just lashing out because he lost his love in that manner...in his grief he kept on perpetuating the fraudalent claims that it was witchcraft.

The ending is definitely not feel good, but it did tie off loose ends as far as I was concerned.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-07-02, 00:24:28 »
It wasn't so much loose ends that bugged me, I just never figured out what the point of the movie was.  in the beginning, I thought it was typical Hollywood cracking on the hypocrasy and superstions of the medieval church, but then the villagers turned out to be truely evil, so I'm thinking "Ok, Ulrich may be a zealot, but he's the good guy".  However, then Osmond turns crazy witch hunter/woman torturer in the end and I'm just left going, "Huh?" ???

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-07-06, 15:42:09 »
I don't think there was a message to the movie...at least I didn't take away anything like that after having seen it.  Other than that particular period of human history may have been a good deal darker, more dangerous than the tales would have us believe...I definitely got that.

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2011-07-07, 03:51:13 »
Yeah, I think the Renfaire is about as close to the real thing as I'd like to get ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-07-07, 14:06:21 »
I honestly would like to try it one good time but as far as living like that regularly?  I'm too modern...I like running water and electricity (for my video games at least lol)...and would not relish sleeping on a dirt or stone floor with any number of unwashed bodies to share it w/me...listening to nocturnal sounds, farts in the general direction, stealthy urination onto the rushes, furtive (and not-so-furtive) coupling and the like.  Or sharing it w/the livestock.

But I'd be just fine on a horse on a beautiful day!

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #14 on: 2011-07-12, 18:22:05 »
i smell bull@#$. hehehe i'm not that far into it but one guy said something about Crecy being the first time they used long bows. hahaha