Main > The Round Table

"What it means to be a Martial Artist" a post by Kevin Murakoshi.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Das Bill:
Certainly!

Sir Edward:

Yep, Excellent points.

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-03-05, 04:12:14 ---BTW I'm thinking of changing my SCA name to (Ivarr, Kori, or Hrafn) Rauttskegg, if it's period that is.

--- End quote ---

BTW, just like on the AA, you can change your display name on this forum in your profile settings. Most forums don't allow this, so it's worth noting that we have this feature turned on if you want to update it. Your login name would stay the same though.

Joshua Santana:
The article is by no means an excellent one and I wholeheartedly agree with it!

It really comes down to "how do you train" "why do train in this way" or "what are you trying to get from your training," it is these question that look towards the individual practitioner and how he/she trains.  The training method is where anyone can determine if they are training to fight, to compete or to perfect themselves.

Bill Grandy makes an excellent in conjunction, yes combat sports have and can make better fighters.

To better explain myself, I recall me Dad recounting his days when he trained for tennis, track and wrestling.  what he told me was unbelievable, he used to run at 5am in the morning, practice for five to six hours for both wrestling and tennis.  I am standing amazed and enlightened at the fact that any art can created only by the individual and how he/she does.  The manner and goal is what defines their art and themselves.

This also applied to my old kung fu and tai chi training days when I used to practice for two hours everyday, I trained to perfect  my movements to make them natural, to remember them and to do them correctly.  This can sound like I am crazy about form and technique but at the same time I was practicing numerous ways to protect  myself and to enhance my skill.  As of now, I am retired from the kung fu and tai chi, but the lesson of keeping training (and life) priorities straight is what I got from that training.

When I attended the SIGMA Medieval Martial Arts Workshop, I felt that I can now understand the movements and better explain them along with keeping my priorities straight. Even the instructors complimented my dad (who went as a spectator) telling him I was doing a good job performing the given techniques, even Tobler himself complimented my hard work getting the movements right.  Th past training definitely helped me in getting the basics done correctly, I also came away thinking "wow, I now understand why they train in this manner and I like it."

On a side note, I have plans to train at SIGMA this summer and have been practicing (from memory) my longsword, dagger, wrestling and pole ax material I learned at that seminar.

But to refresh and connect the dots here, it doesn't matter what style you train in, how you train and why you are training like this, what are you training for is what determines if that individual being a competitor, practitioner or in this case a martial artist.       

Thorsteinn:
I agree.

When asked how I think about training & stylism I told my HEMA teacher many things. He understood none of them. It took him a full year to get that I was approaching it in a Taoist/ Jeet Kun Do way, though I told him that often enough.

For me, this is how I think about it. This is where I desperately want to be:

Lee: Teacher?

Shaolin Abbott: I see your talents have gone beyond the mere physical level. Your skills are now at the point of spiritual insight. I have several questions. What is the highest technique you hope to achieve ?

Lee: To have no technique.

Shaolin Abbott: Very good. What are your thoughts when facing an opponent ?

Lee: There is no opponent.

Shaolin Abbott: And why is that ?

Lee: Because the word "I" does not exist.

Shaolin Abbott: So, continue...

Lee: A good fight should be like a small play, but played seriously. A good martial artist does not become tense, but ready. Not thinking, yet not dreaming. Ready for whatever may come. When the opponent expands, I contract. When he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, I do not hit. It hits all by itself.

Shaolin Abbott: Now, you must remember: the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy.

-----
I find this harder to do in HEMA than other places as moving naturally with full expression of the self is a natural way to generate power and that bothers many people.

Still, it is just another step on the path.

Sir James A:
Ah, Enter the Dragon. Classic Bruce Lee. It's a great movie, and that's a great dialog from it - especially true at the end, "the enemy has only images and illusions behind which he hides his true motives. Destroy the image and you will break the enemy", which becomes very clear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version