Main > The Round Table

Fun with photoshop

<< < (24/35) > >>

Sir Edward:

A simple job with doing black-and-white and some gradients.

Ian:
For a strong black and white image I think you really need to have an absolute black and and absolute white.  Real chunky contrast makes a B&W photo stand out.  I'm assuming you were going for the look of a low-key image (i.e. totally black background with properly exposed subject), so I retouched the background, and made the subject, stand out a little more.  Gray scale can look very flat if there's  not enough contrast.  Lemme know if you like it!  (photography is one of my many hobbies)  The gradient looks good to cast a shadow, but if it's a very subtle gradient, you'll lose your subject in the background instead of making him emerge from the shadow and stand out.

Oh, and btw, the Photoshop CS6 beta is available for 60 day trial for free right now!

Sir Edward:
Awesome, that does look better. The monitor I did it on initially made it look a little more contrasty, but you're right, it needed a lot more.

Here's another go, working from my original PSD:

Ian:
The surcoat really pops in that one Sir Edward!  Love it!

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-04-07, 02:54:20 ---The surcoat really pops in that one Sir Edward!  Love it!

--- End quote ---

Thanks :) I think clicking for the larger size makes it look a lot better than the smaller inline image. I probably over-did it a bit, but there's something like 4 "levels" layers and 3 "curves" layers, all using gradient masks.

I haven't done much photography for its own sake; just enough to take some decent photos of my stuff, so I'm learning. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version