"Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds."
                -- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)

Author Topic: Iron clad trailer  (Read 30779 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Iron clad trailer
« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-10, 16:34:46 »
Hey, Is Ironclad still around to pick up? I think I'll get it.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-10, 17:07:19 »
Nathan, it should...it just came out on DVD a week or so ago I think.  I got mine already, going to view it again this weekend.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-10, 17:53:33 »
really? a week ago? Man, how come it wasn't in theaters?
I'll make sure to snatch up a copy.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #33 on: 2011-08-10, 18:09:48 »
really? a week ago? Man, how come it wasn't in theaters?
I'll make sure to snatch up a copy.

I think it was, but didn't hang around long. Maybe it was a limited release? I'm not sure.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2011-08-10, 18:20:16 »
It was in the theaters, just not in the U.S.  It was filmed entirely in Wales, making it a Great British film that apparently did well in theaters overseas.  I do not know how well it would do over here as moviegoers tend to misunderstand or miscategorize medieval films of this nature, and the violence and bloodshed are definitely not family friendly...unless it is my family you happen to be a part of.  LOL

Interesting to note, Megan Fox was initially signed on to play the part of Isabel but she left the project and Kata Mara was signed on.  Let me tell you, that's like downgrading from an Albion to a Starfire, you know?  Luckily, the romantic scenes could've been completely excised w/out harming the picture in the slightest so...not much to miss there.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #35 on: 2011-08-11, 00:18:06 »
I've watched it, and will reserve my comments for a later date, once many of you have had a chance to see it. Have seen Black Death as well. ;D

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #36 on: 2011-08-11, 00:39:12 »
haahha love ure new profile pic

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #37 on: 2011-08-11, 14:10:44 »
haahha love ure new profile pic

Thanks. ;)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #38 on: 2011-08-14, 01:55:36 »
I finally got around to watching Ironclad. I enjoyed it. It definitely doesn't spare you the brutality of war. But man, some good action there. Marshal's sword was a bit oversized for the period, I think. There were longswords, yes, but I don't think there would have been many 5-footers like that. Not impossible, but certainly uncommon. Theatrically oversized is a good way to put it, I think.

Would the Danes have used woad? That stood out to us as a potential "mistake" as well, but I'm not knowledgeable enough about them to know for sure.

Overall I think it was a good action/siege movie. The back cover compares it to Seven Samurai and Braveheart. I can see why they said that. But part of the charm of Seven Samurai is that the samurai were defending a village against marauders. In this story, they're defending against the king, against the wishes of the owners of the castle. So they're not entirely welcome. And even though they're fighting for a cause they believe in, it's more distant and political. Not defending the helpless, like in Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven.

Still, we enjoyed it. And we always enjoy seeing King John get disappointed. :)
« Last Edit: 2011-08-15, 14:21:31 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #39 on: 2011-08-14, 02:59:25 »
*Review disclaimer* The owner of this post in no way means for the readers not to watch this film and form their own opinions. This is the personal opinion of a simple viewer and not intended to influence the viewing pleasures/preferences of others.

The movie was good for escapist entertainment value, but I found it funny that a "Templar" who was wanting out of the Order because of "mental baggage" he was carrying since the Crusade, would quickly tell everyone that it would be a Templar that saved them. Also, why not at the beginning when he witnessed his fellow Templars being cut down during his rescue operation, did he not go and inform a local preceptory of the activities of King John, leverage the power of a multitude of Red Friars and the Pope? And live pigs for the final event?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2011-08-15, 15:17:34 »
There is just no pleasing everyone, is there?  I imagine they could've done those things but it wouldn't have served the storyline much...I made mention of this before but I never look to Hollywood to keep things historically accurate- probably too costly in research and materials and would only please those of us who know better.  We are a much smaller minority compared to the unwashed masses, who will eat whatever is placed in front of them and call it good.  ;)
« Last Edit: 2011-08-15, 15:18:00 by Ser William »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #41 on: 2011-08-15, 18:24:50 »
Yeah, there's a lot we have to overlook in films. The one thing I always feel that is done "wrong" in most period films is that the way in which the characters talk and carry themselves often overlooks the culturally ingrained behaviors that they would have had regarding their station.

That is, they often have characters "speaking out of turn" and getting away with it, in ways that simply would not have been acceptable back then. The societal strata were seen as all part of God's plan. You knew your place, and you stayed in it. To do otherwise was to risk a harsh and brutal punishment. To be accurate, characters should never speak plainly and without prompting to those of a higher station. Not without showing proper reverence.

Having said that, in Ironclad, when Baron Aubigny says something like "Hi John!" from the top of the wall, it worked, because he was at that point supposed to be showing open defiance. Most audience members either wouldn't catch that, or they'd realize it was an insult to King John. But to those of us in the know, we realize that it was a deep insult to talk that way to a king. A clear defiance meant to say that he didn't recognize him as royalty.

« Last Edit: 2011-08-15, 19:16:54 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2011-08-15, 19:05:36 »
You know...that is not something I have ever thought to listen for but you are absolutely right.  Funny, I'll have that little filter on henceforth when viewing.  Cheers, I learned something new today.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2011-08-15, 19:26:06 »

Here are some more details that they got wrong in Ironclad, but you can understand why they did them, for dramatic effect.

The rebels had more than a team of 7 men to take control of the castle and secure it before King John's army arrived. But it was still a small force, of about 100.

Also, the pigs used for the fire in the mine were actually slaughtered so that the pig fat could be coated onto the support timbers in the mine shaft, ensuring they burn away rapidly and cause a sudden collapse.

They mined the curtain wall first. Then a second time against the keep, but the keep was bisected with an interior wall, and the other half remained fortified.

Reinforcements for the rebels were expected from London, but they turned back when they heard how large John's army was, and also John had the bridge to Rochester destroyed, blocking their access anyway.

Also, the rebels ended up surrendering to King John after being starved out (they ate the horses, but that ran out too).

Sources:

I don't know how accurate it is, but here's a good little description of the historical siege: http://www.jamesmdeem.com/castlestory2.htm

Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Castle

Some photos of the castle:  http://www.anxietymadewell.com/photos/castles/rochester_castle.html
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #44 on: 2011-08-15, 20:39:12 »
nice lil history lesson there. thank you!