"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Armour for me!!!  (Read 3661 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Armour for me!!!
« on: 2008-04-11, 22:59:40 »
looking for 15thc 1460s-1470s italian/german export or something that could be seen in England during the War of the Roses. mild steel

currently:

Helmet: i have a Coventry Sallet on order to replace my Italian Export Sallet
Neck: HE mail standard
Arms: Prototype early Hedgecock spaulders, upper and lower cannons with floating elbows, also have on order a pair of Ice Falcon mail voiders.
Body: 25 layer 7+ oz. linen Jack
Hands: Malinese gauntlets with finger tips.

now, I am looking to add a breasplate w/ mail or breast and back, and full legs with cased greaves

any suggestions? sorry I'm so specific but I just gotta be hehehe

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Armour for me!!!
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-12, 14:46:38 »
Since you want enclosed legs, I pretty much assume you'll need to go custom. You may want to consider this guy:
http://www.partsandtechnical.com/

He's in Maryland, so it isn't out of the question for you to visit him for proper fitting. He posts on Armour Archive as Durasteel Corporation. He'd quoted me $500 for fully encased, properly formed greaves, without the cuisses. I very likely will do it at some point, but at the moment I can't afford it. Here's a pic of an unfinished one of his:

There are a lot of people doing cuirasses from that time period, though I don't know who to recommend. What's your budget and time frame like? If its only the breastplate, does it need a fauld?
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck