Main > The Round Table

Secret love affairs and chivalry

(1/3) > >>

Sir Edward:

This is an aspect of knightly life that we often don't consider (and probably with good reason). However, it's interesting to look at what life must have been like for knights, who within the bounds of chivalry and courtly behavior, were having secret affairs with married women.

http://www.hyw.com/books/history/Chivalry.htm

Sir William:
Right, because their honor and chivalry basically forbade such...and yet, they were also human.  I'll have to check that link later on tonight if I get on...thanks for sharing, Sir Edward.

Sir Rodney:
A book that can provide some additional background on this subject is The Medieval Art of Love : Objects and Subjects of Desire by Michael Camille.  It's been years since I've read this book so the details escape me at the moment.  I do have a general recollection that it's a worthwhile read.  It looks as if this book will have to work its way back into my queue. :)

Sir William:
Rodney, maybe you can add to the Library's list of books...I'm compiling them so if you get a moment, let me know what you've got in the way of medieval literature and I'll add the listing to the archive. 

Sir Rodney:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2011-02-08, 21:54:21 ---Rodney, maybe you can add to the Library's list of books...I'm compiling them so if you get a moment, let me know what you've got in the way of medieval literature and I'll add the listing to the archive. 

--- End quote ---

I keep my medieval library fairly up to date on myArmoury in the books section located here.

I've just noticed that an abbreviated, easy to use (copy and paste) list can only viewed if I'm actually logged in.  Otherwise, you're stuck with 10 books per page with photographs of the cover art.  Let me know if you're unable to get the tidy little list and I'll work some cut & paste magic for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version