Main > The Round Table

Knighthood, and what others think of you.

(1/3) > >>

Sir Edward:

I was glancing over a thread on the AA, where they're discussing non-knight's opinions of the SCA knighthood. While it was intended to be a discussion for non-knights only, a KSCA jumped in and had this to say. I thought I'd quote it here, since I think it's relevant to what we're facing as well. When we put on the armor and spurs, people look at us differently, and I think it's important that we remember what we're doing when we do so.

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1901667#1901667

--- Quote ---Much of the advice I received during my vigil was spot on. Nothing rings more true than those who told me that "people are watching you now and will evaluate many of your actions, choosing what is good or bad and counting them in baskets of each." Watching this thread has really reinforced that for me. You should continue to do so and be unapologetic. That's my job, in a way. I could have said "No", but I took the belt, spurs, and chain. I accept that.

For those of you who aspire to knighthood, remember this condition of the accolade as you progress. You'll be just like the rest of us - imperfect. You might be the name an encouraging mother whispers in the ear of a suckling infant, or the name a father spits in admonition with a wagging finger.
--- End quote ---

Sir Brian:
Most excellent and well put! I concur wholeheartedly and would venture to add that those same sentiments should be applied whether we are in armor or not for truly the iron is really in the heart and soul of the knight and not in his harness.  :)

Sir Wolf:
:)

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote ---the iron is really in the heart and soul of the knight and not in his harness.
--- End quote ---

An excellent bit of wisdom, Sir Brian, which I shall be sharing with my sons at breakfast tomorrow!

Sir William:
Think I'll put that one under my cap for later usage...thanks Sirs Edward and Brian, for the morning wisdom.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version