"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: MRL Bec de Corbin on closeout  (Read 4835 times)

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
MRL Bec de Corbin on closeout
« on: 2008-04-06, 01:51:20 »
So MRL has their bec de corbin on closeout for $99. Seeing as I barely missed out on the A&A one, I decided to pick this one up. My only fear is that the haft will be a piece of junk: I had an older design from them years ago, and Bob Busch broke it by swinging it and accidentally hitting the ground. It practically exploded, and the langets warped. I'd never seen anything happen like that: It really looked like someone put a low level explosive inside of it the way the pieces flew everywhere.

But I'm going to take the risk, since the price is so low... I could always rehaft it if necessary. I've been meaning to get a new poleax for teaching purposes (as opposed to using the rubber headed one), and I won't feel bad about filing away the points on this inexpensive one.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/detail.aspx?ID=800
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Christian Tobler

• New Forum Member
Re: MRL Bec de Corbin on closeout
« Reply #1 on: 2008-04-06, 02:56:21 »
Let us know how that works out Bill.

And, for God's sake man, don't hit the ground with it while *I'm* around. ;)

C

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2008-04-07, 19:25:43 »

I'm sure we could rig up an explosive charge if you ever decide to recreate that event. A couple of M60's or something should do it. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2008-04-08, 02:39:42 »
i'd like to see that one up close. i saw there older version a few years back and wasn't 100% happy with it.  I have the Lutel version and am very happy with it.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2008-04-10, 05:23:08 »
Got the bec de corbin. It isn't bad, for a hundred bucks. Nothing to write home to ma' about or anything, but not bad. The shaft is way better than the earlier one: It's really thick. Almost too thick, but considering my past experience, I'll accept that. The hammer head looks a little modern, though the beak and the blade look really good. The langets have modern-looking flat head screws attaching them, but I can get over that. If I were doing living history, I could replace them, but for WMA demonstration, they'll be fine.

Handling wise, its okay. The balance is a little sluggish... I think a slightly longer haft would fix this, but its not a really big deal. Sturdiness remains to be seen, but if its on par with the current Windlass swords, then I'll be content with it.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck