"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: 15th century War Hammer made by Museum Replicas for sale  (Read 6936 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
found this on another forum

http://frontierfolk.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35528

This is a 15th century War Hammer made by Museum Replicas, it was called the New War Hammer in their catalog and sold for 124.99, this one still has the original price stickers on it. They closed out the last ones at 89.99 I picked up 2 of them. It weighs 2 1/2 pounds, forged from carbon steel. I know a steel drum will not stand up to it at all. I thought the hammer head could be forged into a hawk head and the top spike cut off.
overall it's 26 1/2" long, head from front to back spike is 5 7/8". It's mounted on a hardwood shaft with a buttcap. it's a very heave duty,nice made piece.
$47.00 shipped with delivery confirmation  Payment by postal money order or I can take paypal also.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
Re: 15th century War Hammer made by Museum Replicas for sale
« Reply #1 on: 2011-01-12, 17:35:52 »
I'm not 100% on this but I thought I rememembered maybe Chad Arno on myarmoury doing a haft replacement on one of these I think that came out nice.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-01-12, 18:56:21 »
The thread you're thinking of was Sean Flynt's Pollaxe/Streithammer Project on myA.  This was the thread that got me off my rear and finish Hafting my Poleaxe Head.  Sean does some outstanding modification and DIY stuff.

He's dropped it to $45 shipped.  Wow, that's a great price!
« Last Edit: 2011-01-12, 19:18:20 by Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-01-12, 20:41:24 »
The thread you're thinking of was Sean Flynt's Pollaxe/Streithammer Project on myA.  This was the thread that got me off my rear and finish Hafting my Poleaxe Head.  Sean does some outstanding modification and DIY stuff.

That reminds me, I still need to haft my GDFB heads as well. Ah, projects are never done. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-01-12, 21:43:41 »
That's a nice hammer...been wanting one too.  Not sure about those side spikes though...wouldn't they dig into your hips?
« Last Edit: 2011-01-12, 21:44:30 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #5 on: 2011-01-12, 23:03:26 »
Quote from: Sir William
That's a nice hammer...been wanting one too.  Not sure about those side spikes though...wouldn't they dig into your hips?

The short answer is "yes".  You can construct an anachronistic belt frog that leaves a "tongue" of leather between you and the side spike that will eliminate the "ouch", but it still be annoying.
« Last Edit: 2011-01-12, 23:12:08 by Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2011-01-13, 00:57:34 »
wuss, you'd be fine hehehe.

a friend of mine had a MRL axe and hit a shield with it, the half broke and the head flew a good ways away

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #7 on: 2011-01-13, 04:00:21 »

Only if you wear it so the spikes are against the hips. :) The side-spikes are a historical feature of a number of 15th and 16th century warhammers. And if it were bad, then a flanged mace would be worse, right?
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2011-01-13, 04:26:42 »
Nice, seems like a good price for something well made.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-01-13, 16:05:21 »
That's a great price for a dress or show piece. I need a few armor bits, or I'd add it to my collection.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2011-01-13, 17:08:22 »

I have one very similar to it. I must say, it makes for a fantastic ice-pick. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #11 on: 2011-01-13, 21:00:19 »
a friend of mine had a MRL axe and hit a shield with it, the half broke and the head flew a good ways away

This has been my experience with all of MRL's hafts to date. Whatever type of wood it is, it seems to break very, very easily. Still, a number of people on myArmoury have used MRL polearms as "home improvement" projects to great success.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #12 on: 2011-01-13, 21:10:32 »
I had an MRL waster that ended up breaking in the middle of a duel. Certainly made me angry but I glued it and it works, For now...

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #13 on: 2011-01-13, 21:31:45 »

This has been my experience with all of MRL's hafts to date. Whatever type of wood it is, it seems to break very, very easily. Still, a number of people on myArmoury have used MRL polearms as "home improvement" projects to great success.

I'm not surprised by this at all. They seem to use the same type of wood in their hafts that they use for their cheap wooden wasters. The wasters break pretty readily too. The one I used before upgrading to Purple Heart and steel swords, etc, broke with a split down the length of the grip, without a lot of abuse.
Sir Ed T. Toton III