Main > The Round Table

What was your "defining moment" that drew you to knighthood/chivalry?

<< < (8/9) > >>

Corvus:
Brother Patricius:

I have been through some brutal life changing times myself, including liquor at one stage too. I will say one thing though: In my experience, while other folks can be of great support and help, the guy who will ultimately help you the most will be the fella you see every morning in the mirror. Sounds to me (a person trained in counselling by the way) that you have made great inroads to being that friend to yourself.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-04-20, 03:36:56 ---the guy who will ultimately help you the most will be the fella you see every morning in the mirror.

--- End quote ---

QFT. It's a hard lesson to learn, but the one who can make all the difference in your life is yourself. The world around us is all about what we perceive and what we do. To have a better life, usually you have to start with being a better person.

B. Patricius:
Thank you both, Corvus, and Sir Edward for your advice and kind words.
--- Quote from: Corvus on 2013-04-20, 03:36:56 ---the guy who will ultimately help you the most will be the fella you see every morning in the mirror.

--- End quote ---

re-QFT because that definitely deserves it.  In 2008, after being discharged I was going through a rough spot.  I met someone named Tom, who told me to chase my dreams.  I'm glad I followed his advice and I've been doing that ever since.  My family, namely my parents, wanted me to play it safe, because they followed their dreams and got burned for numerous reasons, partially I believe, because their dreams involved money as the primary goal, cause and objective.  I'm now partially supporting them, happily, and they definitely have had a change of thought so to speak. 

I've always held myself accountable, according to some, I hold myself accountable too harshly.  It's been interesting to chase new dreams because since I can remember I wanted to serve in the military.  Calling what I'm in now a "semi-retirement" definitely has helped me move forward, now having my lady and her daughter, things couldn't be better.  We don't have everything, but we're comfy and happy.  That to me is the most important.

As for following my dreams, I'm independent again, living in the state I love, in the county I love, starting a business, and enjoying experimental archaeology with some of the coolest people I've had the pleasure to meet, both online and in person.  So yeah, I'd say I'm doing alright now.

And thanks again Corvus.  It's nice to hear someone else say what I've started to feel.  I have plenty of wounds, most hidden, some obvious.  It's nice to hear someone else (especially someone trained) telling me I'm making progress.  It's a long road, but one worth traveling.

Corvus:
Just keep on truckin, brother. You will make 'er through okay.

Joshua Santana:
Patricuis:  Your testimony is amazing and it gives proof of the humanity of our Armed Forces and what I can say is nothing more than a salute to you and your service to this country.

--- Quote ---It just goes to show, that on the surface, you never really know what people have endured, or are enduring. Everyone has their demons, their past, and their current challenges. Sometimes hitting rock bottom is exactly what is needed in order to bounce back up, and find your way.
--- End quote ---

Hear! Hear! Hear!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version