Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Franchise

<< < (2/3) > >>

Sir Patrick:
I feel that an outstanding kit cannot transform a lout into a knight, no matter how spot on accurate it may be.  The chivalric ideal resides within, and no amount of armour can hide what lies (or does not lie) beneath.  One on the path should conduct him/herself in a chivalric manner at all times.  If you're doing that, the dignity or franchise aspects fall naturally into place.  Personally, I view my armour as a projection of my knightly spirit, rather than a costume, and when I'm in it, I feel "right".  It's kind of like in "Kill Bill" when Bill says Superman is the real person, and Clark Kent is the disguise (not saying I'm Superman or leading a double life LOL, but you get the idea) ;)  My helm and shield are displayed in my kids' room.  When a new friend comes over, they usually say something along the lines of "Wow! Where did you get that?" and my boys always respond, as if they were commenting on the weather, "It's my dad's.  He's a knight." :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: The Red Knight on 2011-01-07, 01:13:58 --- When a new friend comes over, they usually say something along the lines of "Wow! Where did you get that?" and my boys always respond, as if they were commenting on the weather, "It's my dad's.  He's a knight." :)

--- End quote ---

That's one of the coolest things I've heard all week. Awesome.

Sir Brian:
Once again good Red Knight you have expressed the very essence of the topic. – Well done good Sir!  :)

The only aspect I could possibly contribute towards this discussion is a variation and combination of the old adage “The clothing makes the man” which is only half true insofar as the Red Knight has eloquently stated that if the person is a lout than no amount of clothing/armor will make them knightly, however there are those who have never had an opportunity to have their mettle truly tested or any genuine cause to fully take a long introspective look within, in which case the donning of armor could very well be the catalyst that awakens the dormant knight within.

In one scene in the movie KOH (which I’m sure we’ve all seen and remember) they conveyed the general scope of what I’m saying when during the scene of preparing the defenses of Jerusalem, Balian made everyone capable of bearing arms into knights (historically it was only about sixty squires or burgesses). In the movie the Patriarch of Jerusalem had asked Balian if making a man a knight made him into a better fighter in which Balian simply answered with a firm yes.

Of course there is also the biblical perspective to consider such as in Ephesians chapter 6 verses 10 – 17:

The Armor of God
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
(Is it any surprise that this is one of my favorite passages in the bible?)  ;)

Sir Wolf:
:) sweet.

Sir Patrick:
Agreed!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version