"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Mood Music  (Read 29279 times)

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
Re: Mood Music
« Reply #15 on: 2010-11-22, 17:55:00 »
Depends on the context and mood. Recently it's been a lot of Albannach and Apocalyptica.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #16 on: 2013-04-23, 14:03:36 »
Someone following our FB page posted a youtube link to a piece from "Two Steps From Hell". I clicked through on a few others. Epic soundtrack sort of music.

« Last Edit: 2013-04-23, 14:05:41 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #17 on: 2013-04-23, 15:05:52 »

That's a good question. I have a variety of CDs from the renfaires that cover a wide range of styles. I'll have to look at what I have. I definitely want to expand this to have more actual period music rather than being almost entirely renfaire music, if you know what I mean. Though I should mention that we have most of Owain Phyfe's albums. If you're not familiar with him, he's an extremely skilled performer, fluent in several languages, and performs period songs in a variety of languages. Like eight or more. I forget how many exactly.

What I've been listening to this afternoon is "The Celestine Prophecy" and "Epic" by Christopher Franke (the dude who did the soundtrack for the Babylon5 series). They're not medieval or period music, more like modern electronic music. But there's a sort of "peering back through time" sort of feel to them.

Christopher Franke is also one of my favorites. Bear McReary is also a real good listen in almost any work he has done.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #18 on: 2013-04-24, 22:38:38 »
These are great responses
here's my addition

I also like to listen to anything that pumps me up, regardless if it's period or not.  Linkin Park, STP, CCR, MotorHead, Theory of a Deadman, Clancy Brothers, Gaelic Storm, Dropkick Murphy's, etc etc :D
« Last Edit: 2013-04-24, 23:33:21 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2013-04-24, 23:22:05 »
Check out Wardruna.  They attempt to faithfully recreate the music of the Vikings, and it sounds awesome.  It's kind of ambient and cathartic.  And for those of you who might be metalheads, you may recognize the long-haired vocalist as Gaahl, formally of Gorgoroth.  I own their first album, which is based on the runic alphabet.  I think they're releasing another album in a couple months.  Many, if not all of the instruments they use are homemade and attempts at reproductions of period instruments.  The leader of the band, the short-haired dude made most of them himself afaik.

« Last Edit: 2013-04-24, 23:23:15 by Ian »
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #20 on: 2013-04-24, 23:39:59 »
Ian, good one!

also, I can't believe I forgot them when I last posted.  These guys are great in person and are very talented

I listen to this every time I gear up

and then also this one too, it really is inspirational for me:
« Last Edit: 2013-04-24, 23:48:38 by B. Patricius »
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #21 on: 2013-05-06, 18:14:51 »
Sir Edward I never knew you are a fan of Two Steps from Hell, excellent!  :D

I like these tracks as Knightly mood music.

(A personal favorite of mine, gets me pumped every time)

Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #22 on: 2013-05-06, 20:58:28 »
I feel thinking about it, this needs to be here.  It was proof that there was hope that good swashbuckling, spine tingling, inspirational music still exists, when back then all I heard was electronica, rap, and "R&B"...

and then most recently, I love how it's a male singing versus the female voices for the original trilogy.  EPIC
« Last Edit: 2013-05-06, 21:02:47 by B. Patricius »

Hrolfr

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: 2013-05-10, 10:25:02 »
Conan the barbarian soundtrack

If I ever hear that (without seeing the movie), I'll go crazy  ;)

Flogging Molly, Apocalyptica, the Chieftains (with, without Tommy Markham  and/or the Clancy Brothers  ;D).

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #24 on: 2013-06-12, 10:37:00 »
I found out about this artist via my friends who spend a ton of time on Youtube.  She's excellent:

this song is for Mass Effect, but the lyrics are gorgeous and very inspirational.  The music is based off the soundtracks for the games, but the lyrics are hers.  She's also done this for a song based on HALO:

again, gorgeous.

My friends found about her from doing covers for Skyrim.  And I have to admit, if she were a bard in that game, I'd have just gotten drunk, listened to her sing the songs, and Alduin would have won!

yeah, she's EPIC.  I've been listening to "reignite" quite a bit lately

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #25 on: 2013-06-12, 13:08:11 »
I love that ballad. Very melodic. I love playing Skyrim!! :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2013-06-12, 15:33:31 »
Oh, I'm a big fan of Malukah...I think her renditions of Skyrim's bard songs are better than what's in the game.  Malufenix on YT of course.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2013-06-12, 18:02:47 »
Check out Wardruna.  They attempt to faithfully recreate the music of the Vikings, and it sounds awesome.  It's kind of ambient and cathartic.  And for those of you who might be metalheads, you may recognize the long-haired vocalist as Gaahl, formally of Gorgoroth.  I own their first album, which is based on the runic alphabet.  I think they're releasing another album in a couple months.  Many, if not all of the instruments they use are homemade and attempts at reproductions of period instruments.  The leader of the band, the short-haired dude made most of them himself afaik.

Just got around to listening to their music. I like it a lot, and knowing the historical aspect behind it, I appreciate it even more!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2013-06-12, 20:27:26 »
Just heard the Wardruna vid...that was something else!  I'm not sure I like it yet...but it definitely stuck with me.  Can't say as I've ever heard anything like that before...kinda cool.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #29 on: 2013-08-27, 16:38:00 »
Mood Music... Barry White