"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Kushiel's Legacy  (Read 3590 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Kushiel's Legacy
« on: 2010-11-02, 20:18:48 »
I debated with myself at length on whether or not I'd bother mentioning these books and I figured, what the hell, we're all adults here.  I was hesitant because the nature of these books, which are usually categorized as historical fantasy or alternate reality, has to do with love and romance.  Before you pull back on the reins, let me say this- the author, Jacqueline Carey, is no smut-peddler.  Granted, some of her carnal scenes can make the strongest man a bit squeamish, especially if that man has an imagination of his own...having said that, it is as epic an adventure as I've ever read.  I equate it to Lord of the Rings in its scope and majesty; there are elements that deal with angelology, disparate religions and customs (the protagonists embark on a journey that spans half the globe; the main setting being a fictionalized version of medieval Europe, and although the place names are different, based on descriptions you'd eventually figure out what medieval country they correspond with), and the overarching message that love can conquer all.

Sounds cheesy and trite, doesn't it?  It is anything BUT.  I was skeptical at first...there are a total of three separate trilogies...the first two are tied together, the third trilogy takes place a good deal of time afterward but is present in the same universe and locale, at least as far as I know because I've only read the first of that final three- waiting for my sister to pass them on.

As I was saying, I was skeptical...I mean, I like sex like any other man but I'm not really into romances; to call these books 'romance novels' would be to oversimplify and in a way, denigrate these works.  There's not much in the way of magic (except for the kind that happens between the sheets) and there IS a lot of sex, but it isn't done in such a way as to be gross or disrespectful.  It is obvious that the author subscribes to the ideal of free love, that is, the freedom to choose who and when you decide to have a go with, regardless of gender or sexuality.  Since such things don't bother me, it wasn't a big deal.

What did it for me, was one character in particular, the Cassiline.  The Cassiline Brotherhood was founded by an angel, Cassiel, the martial angel.  It was he who taught the indigenous folk how to craft weapons and armor as well as how to use them, but I digress.  The Cassiline Brotherhood was formed specifically to ensure the safety of the Ruling Family; one family has ruled these folk for their entire existence, it is hereditary, obviously.  These Cassilines train in defensive swordsmanship from the age of 9; the middle son of every family in this country is sent to be dedicated into this service.  These men are warrior-priests; one of the vows they must take is that of chastity (which is but one reason why this as a vocation isn't as highly subscribed to as say, blacksmith or what have you) and they are known for their ascetism and strict adherence to their oaths.  Here's a brief listing of their tenets, and a little info about them.  I found them to be incredibly exciting to learn about, even though they are fictional, they are pretty bad ass.

1. The head of the Cassiline Brotherhood is given the title of "Prefect".
2. Training for the Cassiline Brotherhood takes ten years. After the apprentice takes his vows as a Brother, they must perform their duties for five years and have these duties judged exemplary by the Prefect before they are given permission to visit their family.
3. A Cassiline Brother never draws his sword except to kill. For non-lethal fights, they use twin daggers. The style is not made for open combat like that on a battlefield in war. To be a Cassiline means to protect and serve; they often act as bodyguards and their fighting style revolves around protecting a charge in close combat. They flow like water using their opponents' own attacks against them. They are not intended to kill except in the most dire of circumstances; hence the twin daggers.
4. All Brothers take vows of celibacy, and are cast out of the Order if they break them.
5. The Cassilines refer to Elua and the other Companions as the Misguided.
6. The final act a Cassiline may perform is called the Terminus, in which the Cassiline throws a dagger into the heart of his charge while simultaneously slitting his own throat. It has not been performed in living memory.
7. If a Cassiline fails to protect his charge from harm, he is considered a disgrace and may be released from his vows and become anathema, or return to the Prefect of the Cassiline Brotherhood to atone for this.
8. The ruler of Terre d'Ange was traditionally warded by at least two Cassiline Brothers.
9. Each Cassiline Brother must perform Elua's Vigil on the Longest Night. This involves kneeling before a statue of Elua, preferably in one his temples, from sunset to sunrise without getting up. This is a much harder feat than it sounds due to the cold.
10. Cassilines who choose to continue protecting and serving their charge, usually against direct orders by their Prefect to stand down, make what is known as Cassiel's Choice.

One of the main characters, one of the main heroes I should say, is Joscelin Verrieul, a Cassiline contracted to protect a courtesan.  Just to give you an idea, I only re-read books that resonate with something within me, whether it be of martial or empathetic origin; I've read the first trilogy 5 times so far- and each time, it looses nothing in the interim.  The second trilogy I've only read twice, because I had to give it back to my sister, and the third, I've only read that first one once.  If you've read the Sword of Truth series then you'll not find this to be too out of the way- although some of the beliefs that Carey espouses may seem a bit off, but you know the old adage- to each their own.

She managed to create a living, breathing world with characters that are full of their own personalities- you can't help but follow along with every step of their individual journeys.

I should mention that her descriptions of battles and individual swordplay make pictures in the mind; I'm still trying to figure out the Telling of the Hours, the Cassiline training system.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€