"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Discussion: Honor  (Read 42703 times)

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
Re: Discussion: Honor
« Reply #60 on: 2015-06-29, 21:14:36 »
Tis' true, honor is not as prominent today, as it once was. That said, I do have the pleasure of bearing witness to honorable moments in my career field. The finest example of honor I can think of, is when we render aid to defeated enemies. To save the life of the man that just tried his hardest to take yours, that, is honor.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2015-06-29, 22:05:47 »
Tis' true, honor is not as prominent today, as it once was. That said, I do have the pleasure of bearing witness to honorable moments in my career field. The finest example of honor I can think of, is when we render aid to defeated enemies. To save the life of the man that just tried his hardest to take yours, that, is honor.

Well said.  I think honor may not be very common in society as whole today (I also don't think it was as widespread as we like to believe it was in the Middle Ages), it is definitely emphasized in certain populations like the military.  I spent 10 years as an officer in the Navy and I will never come across such a large concentration of honor again in my life.  I miss flying, but what I miss most of all are the quality of people that I had the opportunity to lead and serve, and the camaraderie therein. 
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Martyn

• Knight Itinerant
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Courage Honor Faith Humility Justice Prowess Mercy
« Reply #62 on: 2015-08-30, 16:55:14 »
Now you have to make due with us, Sir Ian ;)
Among the greatest evils we face are those which lie within.

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #63 on: 2015-09-13, 08:53:07 »
He will be alright. He is in good company.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir_Edward_ReBrook

• New Forum Member
« Reply #64 on: 2015-10-19, 04:59:04 »
This is one of the best threads I've ever read on this topic. Sir Patrick, especially well penned. I too believe honor is a journey, if for no other reason than we are tested in various different ways throughout life. I will also say that while I consider it a journey, it does have a starting point - the coincidence between integrity, bravery, and service to an ideal.

Excellent topic, Sir Edward.

Respectfully,

Edward, GOTJ
Respectfully,

W. Edward Graf von Ettendorf-ReBrook, GOTJ

Jon Blair

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on: 2016-03-24, 15:11:57 »
Well said.  I think honor may not be very common in society as whole today (I also don't think it was as widespread as we like to believe it was in the Middle Ages), it is definitely emphasized in certain populations like the military.  I spent 10 years as an officer in the Navy and I will never come across such a large concentration of honor again in my life.  I miss flying, but what I miss most of all are the quality of people that I had the opportunity to lead and serve, and the camaraderie therein.
I know what you mean, Sir Ian. As a former enlisted Submariner, I got to serve with some of the finest people. Even though I have been out of the Navy for sixteen years this April, I still harken back to those days as an exemplar.
"Diligo bonus quod contemno malum"

Azure, a saltire argent charged nine mascles azure

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #66 on: 2016-04-19, 02:15:01 »
I think honor may not be very common in society as whole today

This is the case and it is a sad reality. 

I would say that instead of simply discussing or debating the finer points of honor, why not do honorable deeds so as to be the example towards people to see and to learn from.  '

I recall my moments of honor well and they are lessons to me.  I would say that one must be the example and set the example.  The common excuse I hear from people is "nobody does it because I have seen anyone that does it."  The right answer is the action that speaks "Chivalry" "Honor" and people seeing it and letting them seeing that actions or actions challenge what they believe and setting to them the choice to follow by example or not.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.