Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Honor

<< < (7/14) > >>

B. Patricius:
I'm wondering Grand Master Garland, if you ever walked the "Long Grey Line," or were a sailor like our Sir Ian?

I grew up first at St. Mary Katherine's Military School, and then Mater Dei High School.  It was funny, because I couldn't believe how "lax" everything was at the high school even though it was Catholic as well.  I then served, but worked for a living mind you.

I definitely feel honor today is as crucial as ever.  And as others have said, it's sad to see so many who don't follow it, let alone those that make fun of it.  But as one Gunnie said to me when I was very young, "it takes only a spark to drown out the darkness" and within this group, I see a good many sparks.

Grand Master Garland:
I agree with you Br. Patricius.   Few in our time follow the path of honor.   For men are like sheep who with rare exception follow the flock and that flock today is not only led but also taught by those who are not true friends.   Men first must look for the truth, but so few do today; and if they find truth, so few have the necessary grace to realize it; and finally, that very remnant after having searched and found truth must be willing to overthrow negative preconditioning, and possess the courage to commit their lives to it.  On this very matter:

I've been interested in Yeoman Thorsteinn's good works on the disorder of asperges which he lives with and in the positive response to his postings from the forum members.  I would like to say here that we Knights of St. John are engaged in developing an advocacy program for those who live with disorders of the brain.   We choose to identify the root causative factors almost exclusively to be faulty utilization of endogenous monoamine neurotransmitters rather than as what most professionals in the field pin as the source:  the vagaries of "behavioral health".   In other words we are focusing on advocacy which searches in all cases for a clinical etiology and the effective neuropharmacology to be applied for each case. 

I did walk the path of the "Long Grey Line", but only for two years.  My quest for the truth had previously begun at the VMI where the rat line instilled in me that particular form of honor of which I previously spoke.  It didn't take long to determine that an honorable life would be difficult to live as a federal mercenary and therefore chose a different path.  God's will be done. 8)   

Ian:

--- Quote from: Grand Master Garland on 2013-06-29, 18:34:34 ---It didn't take long to determine that an honorable life would be difficult to live as a federal mercenary and therefore chose a different path.  God's will be done. 8)

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry that you feel this way about those of us on active duty service to our country.  I personally don't find it hard to reconcile the things I may not agree with in the military with my personal honor.

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-06-29, 18:49:59 ---
--- Quote from: Grand Master Garland on 2013-06-29, 18:34:34 ---It didn't take long to determine that an honorable life would be difficult to live as a federal mercenary and therefore chose a different path.  God's will be done. 8)

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry that you feel this way about those of us on active duty service to our country.  I personally don't find it hard to reconcile the things I may not agree with in the military with my personal honor.

--- End quote ---

Nor would I think that hired knights of the past would find difficulty in serving a king, baron or otherwise, while retaining their personal honor. It is possible to do things you don't agree with, considering the request, while not dishonoring yourself. To borrow a line from A Knight's Tale:

--- Quote ---Jocelyn: If you would prove your love, you should do your worst.... Instead of winning to honor me with your fine reputation, I want you to lose.... To show your obedience to your lover and not to yourself.
--- End quote ---

Does doing this lessen his honor (by not doing what he wants)? Would winning increase his honor by disrespecting his lover's request?

Sir Patrick:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2013-06-29, 18:49:59 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Sir Ian, I've said it before but it bears repeating:  Thank you for your service.

Standing by an oath sworn (in this case the defense of country) is inextricably tied to personal honor. If a order is not amoral or against the rules of war, there is no dishonor in doing one's duty, regardless of personal opinion concerning policy. That, IMHO, should be proof enough that the members of our armed forces are NOT "federal mercenaries".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version