Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Honor

<< < (5/14) > >>

Sir Brian:
Sometimes old discussions, like fond memories need to be dusted off and brought back into the light. I happened upon this website:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/10/01/manly-honor-part-i-what-is-honor/

This is a link to a seven part dissertation on Honor. A very informative read that I found myself nodding in agreement with on many portions of Part 1: What is honor and I’m looking forward to reading the rest.  :)

Sir Edward:

Nice! I'll take a look.

B. Patricius:
I am inclined to agree with all of you on most things.  But, after all, isn't that why we congregate here?

To add to this, I must say that chivalry, honor, truth, respect, integrity, humility, courage, are all words that are defined by the person perceiving them.

I have seen much honor in my enemy when at times I could not see it in my friends.

I also believe that honor still exists as long as people BELIEVE it still exists.  For example, we all like to moan and groan about the Hollywood "machine" and about how "out of touch with reality" some of its celebrities are.  But despite what the writers, directors, or actors may have wished to be perceived, isn't in the eyes of the beholder as to what is true or not, and therefore what is honorable?

Kingdom of Heaven, which has been well respected and equally admonished by historians, nerds, re-enactors, fans, and critics alike, has very good lessons to be learned.  If one sees them as such.  Same for The Last Samurai, which the director wholeheartedly admits to "Romanticizing Bushido much in the same way as Dumas romanticized Chivalry with his D'Artagnan trilogy."  Both movies have brought me comfort in times of need, regardless of what others thought of them.

I also believe honor is around us each and every day if we choose to see it.  There is a little boy in our neighborhood who is mentally and physically handicapped.  It's sad that most of the children in the area tend to avoid him.  Except for two.  Two brothers who play with him, whether the others wish to or not.  Yesterday the older brother basically went full speed into a wall, while at the same time, the handicapped one just apparently fell.  Both were upset.  I ended up checking on both of them.  Both were alright in the end.  It was interesting though, the older brother, who did have a nice little battle scar from his ordeal in physics, saw the handicapped boy appearing to be hurt.  After I told him I was sure his fingers weren't broken and that he'd heal in time, he immediately went to that other boys' aid.  He then told me with gestures how the other "wasn't all there" but in a polite way.  I told him I knew and also knew the others parents.  He then, even with the pain in his arm, which we all know at ten years old, blood, scabs, and cracked knuckles can almost be the brink of shock, helped the handicapped boy up, put him on his bike and helped him ride and then they both continued to play as boys do.

One of the other kids came out and started making fun of the handicapped boy.  The older brother, and his younger brother too, immediately verbally attacked the bully.  He then had the gall to call them out, and ask why they defended the "f*kn retard" and yes, this 9-11 year old used that language!  They both, together immediately responded "because he can't himself.  And he is a great guy once you take the time to know him."

I had to step in, although most times I just sit back and enjoy watching the kids play as I smoke my pipe.  I asked the bully, pretending to side with him, which apartment he lived in, which was the one I thought, and had him lead me home and away from the "hopeless."  With that too, I winked at the two brothers, who have gotten to know me, and my little two year old over the past couple weeks since they moved here, so they knew they were fine.  I took him home, explained what had happened outside.  His family said, and I quote "well, boys are boys, what the f*k are we to do?"  As a side note, that boy, the bully has a younger brother about my girl's age, who on numerous occasions has been left outside un-attended to where I've almost called CPS.  I immediately looked the parent in the eye, and replied, "and to think, my friends, my brothers, sacrificed so much, so you could have the freedom to believe that" and walked off. 

I then walked up to the other three, asked how they were and if they were still having fun.  Which of course, they all were.  The two brothers' dad came out, and I finally got to meet him.  I told him "you should be proud of your boys, they're learning well."  He just smirked after the shock settled, and replied "well, they still have much to go."

Honor is still around, chivalry is still around.  The key is if we choose to see it, accept it, and be a part to it, and make it an integral part of our lives.  Those two boys, they'll never let it die whether they know the terms yet or not.

Thorsteinn:
I've seemed to run low on spoons for replying to this via writing. Can I do a vid?

Lord Dane:

--- Quote from: Thorsteinn on 2013-05-11, 01:02:47 ---I've seemed to run low on spoons for replying to this via writing. Can I do a vid?

--- End quote ---

If you have the battery life & memory cards, by all means. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version