"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: TerryT's sparring masks  (Read 21037 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: TerryT's sparring masks
« Reply #15 on: 2008-04-11, 21:04:31 »
we can always fix that. either adding splints inside the neck area, fixing your brig gorget with a solid steel neck protection under the leather, or makeing a steel gorget. i've made a few of each kinds over the years

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #16 on: 2008-04-11, 21:34:46 »

So now that we've had a chance to play with these masks a little, I have to say I really like it a lot. Though I have to agree with what Bill was saying the other night about it not really protecting the adam's apple on the throat. The metal armor discs that are riveted into the bib still allow a lot of flex here.

Of course, you can still wear a gorget. I was tempted to include one of Terry T's gorgets in the order with the mask, but I don't know if they're any more protective than the brigandine style gorget I already have. I'd be curious to see if they're made with the same design as the bib on the masks.

Still, overall the mask is well built, sturdy, fits nicely, and is adjustable.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine. I still am fiddling with the adjustments to get everything exactly where I want. But yes, I really don't like how flexible the bib is. The steel washers would be fine if I were worried about a sharpened weapon cutting me (and I hope that's never an issue!), but simply poking my throat with my finger was uncomfortable enough. And I have such a long neck that most gorgets aren't going to work for me. I may have to do Sir Wolf's advice and add something solid underneath.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Griff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: 2008-05-28, 19:21:51 »
Damn, those masks sure are expensive. Whenever I spar with my home-made wooden swords, I just put on an old motorcycle helmet and some gloves and I'm fit to go. It's a good way to simulate medieval helmets too, since I imagine that my visor is open. Besides, getting smacked over the head barely hurts when you've got a motorcycle helmet on. And I'm talking about those full-faced ones, not the ones that leave your face open.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2008-05-29, 05:00:46 »
Damn, those masks sure are expensive.

Not as expensive as my head. :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Griff

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: 2008-05-29, 07:24:59 »
Well, the cheapskate in me will periodically rear its head like that. I can't deny the fact that the masks look cool, but I'm more of a practical guy and the thing is that you could improvise something like that without paying all that money.

But then again this depends on what weapons you're using. If using wooden weapons, I'd say something improvised like a motorcycle helmet would do just fine.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2008-05-29, 14:39:45 »
Well, first off, keep in mind that we didn't buy these for the looks. If we did, we'd probably be using more historically inspired helmets. :)
And a motorcycle helmet won't hold up at all to the types of swords we use:

www.armor.com

www.albion-swords.com

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #21 on: 2008-05-29, 16:26:54 »
I should add that our masks arrived.  I haven't had time to adjust it.  (Is the school year over yet?)  This is the picture TerryT sent me.  I think you can guess which one belongs to Mark and which one is mine.  ;)
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #22 on: 2008-05-29, 18:33:02 »

Looking good! He does a great job making those.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2008-06-01, 00:52:05 »
I know we're still working on ringen and dagger work in class at the moment, but bring the masks in anyway, Pamela. Maybe we'll get some bouting done after class!

Sword Chick

• Founder/Lead Instructor Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
  • Forum Follower
    • Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts
« Reply #24 on: 2008-06-01, 01:14:36 »
The odds that I'll have time to figure out how to adjust them and do the adjusting between now and then aren't good.  I'm stretched a little thin at the moment.   :-\

(Anyone remember the SNL skit with Jane Curtin?  "Meet Ellen Sherman Cleveland housewife and mother....How does she do it all?"  Anybody need a paperbag?)
"Where have all the good men gone and where are all the gods?
Where's the street wise Hercules to fight the rising odds?"
~Steinman/Pitchford