"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: Leather surcoats  (Read 5063 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Leather surcoats
« on: 2012-08-15, 19:42:31 »
I spotted these Templar surcoats at PARF this past weekend. The proprietors of the shop said they can do the crosses in any color, and might also be able to do other styles of applique (if you don't want a cross).

These ran about $200.

This was one of the Red Falcon booths. I took a business card, so I'll need to remember to get the contact info off of it. I don't have the card on me at the moment. Google says their website is here: redfalconarmouries.com, however it's not coming up for me.

« Last Edit: 2012-08-15, 19:45:24 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
Re: Leather surcoats
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-15, 20:03:17 »
I spotted these Templar surcoats at PARF this past weekend. The proprietors of the shop said they can do the crosses in any color, and might also be able to do other styles of applique (if you don't want a cross).

These ran about $200.

This was one of the Red Falcon booths. I took a business card, so I'll need to remember to get the contact info off of it. I don't have the card on me at the moment. Google says their website is here: redfalconarmouries.com, however it's not coming up for me.

Very nice workmanship. Like my tabbards lightweight though but those might be good for Fall season.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-15, 20:05:17 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-16, 02:07:58 »
Were leather surcoats done in period?
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-16, 03:25:10 »
Were leather surcoats done in period?

To my knowledge, rarely if ever. But in the renfaire context of "period plausibility", I think they're cool.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-16, 11:48:04 »
Well that looks rather warm..... After all, us armour guys need even more things to trap the heat. ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-16, 12:33:35 »
looks cool, would hang the way surcoats do in the paintings n pictures, historic? seriously doubt it. heheheh but still looks awesome.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-16, 15:12:45 »
I was about to say, when I thought about getting one, you fellows gave me a resounding 'No!' in answer!!!  Still, for the price, those look very nice.  Leather breathes, does it not?  So it may not be the hotbox garment some of you are suggesting...then again, it could very well be.  I don't wear leather garments in general (although I just got a pair of pants at a steal so, we'll see how that goes) but I've heard you can wipe them down with a cool, damp cloth and it'll cool that body part off.

Their website's not coming up for me either.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-16, 15:55:00 »

Yeah, if you're trying to be as authentic as you can, leather surcoats are out.

But as far as leather garb goes, it's warm, but not ridiculously so. I think the armor is much worse on hot days than a leather outer-layer. I have a variety of leather doublets, and sometimes I'll wear them in reasonably hot weather, but it depends.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-16, 19:21:17 »
I was about to say, when I thought about getting one, you fellows gave me a resounding 'No!' in answer!!!  Still, for the price, those look very nice.  Leather breathes, does it not?  So it may not be the hotbox garment some of you are suggesting...then again, it could very well be.  I don't wear leather garments in general (although I just got a pair of pants at a steal so, we'll see how that goes) but I've heard you can wipe them down with a cool, damp cloth and it'll cool that body part off.

Their website's not coming up for me either.

Leather also needs to be properly treated. I don't like having to worry about my tunics when my armor & weapons need enough attention.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)