Main > The Round Table

Spammers vs new members

<< < (4/8) > >>

Sir Ancelyn:
No robot could replace my geniussssssssssssssssssssssssssssss goto10_>

Sir James A:

--- Quote from: RauttSkegg on 2011-02-17, 23:12:50 ---Well, I'm a new guy, and not a spammer, and am currently watching 'The Universe' while it snows here in Sparks, NV.

I hate being sick.

--- End quote ---

Welcome. Hope you're feeling better by now. Your avatar looks familiar, but I can't place the screenname, though I'm thinking armourarchive?

Sir Edward:

I'm starting to worry that I may be deleting an occasional real new user, since it's not always obvious, and not everyone replies to emails quickly, etc. So I've added two new things:

First, a new CAPTCHA. In addition to the old one, this one has to be solved to set up a new account, and it involves rotating images around with slider controls. If you want to see it, log out and click on register. You don't have to complete the registration to just spin the pictures around. :)

Secondly, I've added instructions after the sign-up to preemptively email me and let me know you're real.

Hopefully this will make the process smoother for new forum members, and reduce the amount of wanton deletion I have to do.

Sir James A:
There's a similar issue on another forum I'm on. We thought about adding something similar to the "google goggles" plugin, to have a few questions asked that have to be answered right when creating the account. Something simple that anyone registering would know, and wouldn't be prone to phrasing wrong (single answers).

Something like:

Who was the leader of the Knights of the Round Table? King: [enter answer here]
How many legs does a horse have? [single-digit box, if you can]

As long as that computer that was on Jeopardy isn't trying to register, it should trim down a lot of the botting, hopefully. :)

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: James Anderson III on 2011-02-24, 01:24:52 ---Something like:

Who was the leader of the Knights of the Round Table? King: [enter answer here]
How many legs does a horse have? [single-digit box, if you can]

As long as that computer that was on Jeopardy isn't trying to register, it should trim down a lot of the botting, hopefully. :)

--- End quote ---

I just grabbed a mod to do this too (apparently last night a bot got through the new captcha, which could be random luck with a 1/512 chance). It looks like SMF 2.0 has this built in, but someone made a mod to add it to the 1.x line. It's out of date, but still patches in just fine. I even borrowed your questions here. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version