"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Men of Prowess: The Code of Chivalry as a Standard of Excellence  (Read 5374 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

Men of Prowess: The Code of Chivalry as a Standard of Excellence

http://powertochange.com/discover/culture/chivalrycode/

I thought this made an excellent point: "... the greatest measure of prowess is found in a knight whose energies are continually directed toward finding better ways to be of service to others — as role models, as leaders, as administrators and as champions."

Not only does this speak well about "Prowess" pertaining to more than just being good with arms, but I think it makes a good statement about "Service". Since knighthood has much to do with service to others, it's important to think about what that means. It doesn't mean being a slave or a door-mat, rather it has more to do with how you conduct yourself daily and contribute to the world around you... being a good role model, leading by example, serving as a gracious host, and accomplishing tasks with the greatest skill you can muster. I think in a way these two concepts are thus closely related.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Blackwolf

• New Forum Member
    • Medieval Fantasies Company
Sir Edward,

Thank you for sharing this, most excellent! I shall be ordering Sir Geoffroi de Charny's book La Livre de chevalerie from Amazon.com  It may be found at http://www.amazon.com/Book-Chivalry-Geoffroi-Charny-Translation/dp/0812215796/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I am at your service,
Sir Blackwolf
I am at your service,
Sir Blackwolf

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org

I picked up this copy a while back: http://amzn.com/0812219090

It looks like the one you've selected on Amazon has the original text, which my copy does not. It has only the translation, but it also has Kaeuper's commentary and introduction which is immensely useful in understanding the context in which the book was written.

I think it's a very interesting read overall, and you won't be disappointed. Since it's a book written by a knight, for knights, and is more or less a guidebook on how to be a knight of worth, it makes a good historical study. The downside is that it doesn't necessarily translate well into modern life, since most of the book is devoted to comparisons of levels of worth based on deeds of arms in a variety of contexts. It's still a great book to have, for sure!
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Samuel

• Sir Samuel
  • New Forum Member
  • Knight of The Golden Trail
    • Historic Loveland Castle
I do believe I will have to take a look at this book. Sounds like a very good read for me.
Knight of the Golden Trail
Knight of St. John of Jeruselum
Defender of Castle Chateau La Roche