"Chivalry is itself the poetry of life."
      -- Schlegel, Philosophy of History

Author Topic: International Fellowship of Orders of Chivalry  (Read 5550 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
International Fellowship of Orders of Chivalry
« on: 2009-10-14, 14:43:25 »

I got an email from one of the members of Chivalry Now talking about the idea of setting up an International Fellowship, that would consist of autonomous Orders, affiliated or allied with Chivalry Now. One of the main organizers for this concept has started to successfully create an Order of Chivalry in South Africa.

I've been participating in the forum over there a bit, since they have some good discussions about Chivalry for modern times, and it goes beyond the Victorian view of courtliness and courtesy.

Anyway, I was just curious what everyone might think about such ideas. For those of us based in the DC-area, there's no local knightly/chivalric orders nearby that I'm aware of, with the nearest being Selohaar to the north, and the Fiat Lux order a similar distance to the south.

Though ironically, some of the people who see us walking around at the renfaire think we have some sort of official group going on. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: International Fellowship of Orders of Chivalry
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-16, 00:21:28 »
I think this is an interesting idea, although I am a bit far away for anything organizing in the DC area.  I think there really is an unofficial unity between all of armor wearing types.  Earlier this season when I ventured down to MdRF I encountered some armored gentles enjoying their lunch and when I approached them I began with a sorry to interrupt your lunch but... and they countered with a well we were wondering if you would come over here or we would have to come over to you after lunch because you know either way we were going to meet, which gave us all a bit of a chuckle.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-16, 14:02:53 »

That sounds about right. :) I've noticed that too; it's like we're all in the same club.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James (Fiat Lux)

• Knight of the Hearth, Knightly Order of the Fiat Lux, Charlotte Chapter
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-16, 14:40:46 »
You know, the Fiat Lux is always looking to found new chapters, especially if there are already groups of people in a localized area looking for something like that.  8)

It's an interesting idea, though - getting chivalric orders networked together could do quite a lot to further the causes of all.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-16, 15:08:25 »

That's good to keep in mind too. If there's enough interested folks, chapters could be opened.
Sir Ed T. Toton III