Main > The Round Table

Persona profiles

(1/11) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
I thought I`d start a thread to see what you guys have done about background for your personas, the knights that you portray at your shows and events. We could possibly share ideas.
Our group works slightly different to other UK groups in that we don`t portray very famous people from history, thus giving us the flexability we need to build scenarios for the particular venue we do. In other words we can make up an entertaining storyline for our event that doesn`t have to be 100% historicaly accurate.
Here`s mine as it is on our site;

http://www.freemenofgwent.com/index.php?sid=&book=derodes

I find doing the research and getting a background history, fascinating. I just wondered if any of you had done anything similar.
G

Sir Matthew:
I think this is a very interesting topic.  I have been working on my Elizabethan era persona for PaRF for a while now.  I have a sort of roughed out version that encompasses most of the aspects of my real life family.  Here it goes:  Sir Matthew, oldest surving child of Master Raymond and his wife Diane.  Younger Sister, Carrie, married a local Sheriff (my brother in law is a police officer).  Younger brother, Christopher, joined the protestant clergy and is studying to be a pastor (he is in Church Grad school).  Father was a freeman farmer and assistant miller (my father works in a feed mill and is an avid gardener), mother was the oldest daughter of a weathy merchant/shopkeeper and was able to read and write, she taught her children to do the same.  Finding that I had no taste for farm life, I left home with my parents blessing at the age of 12 to follow a Landsknecht unit on their way to serve a contract with a border Lord.  I earned my keep by taking care of weapons, armor, and whatever other odd jobs I could.  In my spare time, such as it was, I learned pike, musket, halberd, rapier, katzenbalger, and various unarmed fightint techniques.  Being a rather slight young man, I was not deemed suitable to take a place among the Border Lord's retainers until the age of 17.  Coming from the Gentry, I took a place in the pike ranks.  After serving for 5 years, I left the Border Lords service to join a mercenary company forming to answer the calls for aid from English lords in Ireland.  Finding I could make more money serving on a gun crew, and finding my education made me valuable as a gunner, I joined the company's cannon crew.  I served with various mercenary companies throughout Ireland and continental Europe as a gunner, pikeman and musketeer, before finally being wounded while in the service of the Spanish.  I was recognized for my bravory by a Spanish noble and fate would have it that I caught the attention of the Spanish King.  He confered the title of Knight upon me and bid me return to Spain should my native monarch refuse to recognize the title.  Upon returning to England with my new wife, I secured an audience with Queen Elizabeth and she chose to recognize the title I had been granted and cofired a modest estate upon me.  Once again, finding sedentary life a poor suit for me and the financial responsibility of Knighthood more than the estate could bear, I have again returned to that which supported me so well for so long, soldiering. 
  The final part about the knighting comes from a wedding present my family gave my wife and I, a trip to Medieval Times.  When we met the King we explained why we were there, as we went in garb.  He Knighted me as way of a gift.  Since MT protrays a Spanish theme and Faire patrons see anyone in armor as a Knight, I amended my personae to portray this.  Any thoughts or suggestions? 

Sir Edward:

You know, this is a really good question. :) I haven't really built a historical background or persona, as such. I've been attending the renfaires in my kits pretty much as myself, but with my early 14th C kit, I've been imagining it lately as my "700 years ago in England" persona, in a way. That would make it summer of 1309 for me right now. :)

Sir Brian:

--- Quote from: Sir Gerard de Rodes on 2009-07-14, 22:17:13 ---I find doing the research and getting a background history, fascinating. I just wondered if any of you had done anything similar.
--- End quote ---

Fantastic and inspirational. I've been researching mine since you've posted and I am nearly ready to share mine as well. Just need a little bit more to add.

--- Quote from: madmanpsu on 2009-07-15, 01:59:43 ---Any thoughts or suggestions?
--- End quote ---

A most excellent background story and even more enjoyable since I got to see you in your full harness at PARF's opening weekend!  :)

Sir Brian:
Ok here is mine for my Persona of...

Sir Brian FitzMatthais FitzGerald

http://modernchivalry.org/knights/view/Sir%20Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version