Main > The Courtyard

Fighting in armor

(1/2) > >>

Patrick:
I am 5'7 and weigh 170 pounds, which are distributed pretty evenly throughout my body. I am naturally strong but tire easily because I do not get out often and probably because I am slightly overweight. Wearing a ~40-50 pound knee-length and long-sleeved steel mail hauberk, ~5-6 pound helmet, ~1-2 pound gambeson, ~2-3 pound mittens on both hands is physically taxing, and since I plan to also buy mail chausses, I should expect to add ~25-35 pounds too. The mail is not perfectly fitted and sags slightly without tapering on the arms, but it fits well enough to use without embarrassment in my opinion. I wear a belt to help distribute the weight on my hips but I can't help but feel there have to be other ways to make the armor feel lighter on me. 

What I can't do:
- Remove or add rings of mail
- Order a new/custom fitted mail hauberk
- Ignore it (I bought the armor for reenactment fighting, and currently I can barely raise my arms to swing a sword after 10-15 swings)

What are things I can do to feel more nimble and energized in my armor? What exercises? What are some extra tricks to distribute the weight?

Sir Wolf:
what are your components made of? spring steel? riveted mail? etc etc

Patrick:
Can't tell you anything besides that the mail is riveted: here's a link to what I ordered. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB2486&name=DFNM+Chain+Mail+Hauberk+%2D+Dome+Riveted+Flat+Rings

Thorsteinn:
Every day run 1 mile in the woods at as good a pace as you can.

Every morning do 30 pushups, 30 bodyweight squats, and 30 situps.

Eat well & get good sleep. 6 packs are built in the kitchen after all.

Do 100 blows to the Pell for 100 days. 1 day in 7 do that in full kit.

Patrick:
Sounds good to me. Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version