"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Article Pertaining to the Defense of Women  (Read 7438 times)

Matthew of the Isles

• New Forum Member
Article Pertaining to the Defense of Women
« on: 2017-10-20, 20:14:19 »
A few days ago, I read this article on Cracked, in which a lady detailed ways in which a male colleague failed to notice disturbing behavior, and prescribes simple methods by which men might check such behavior from other men:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-tips-preventing-sexual-harassment-we-apparently-need/

An important aspect of humility is acknowledging the limitations of our own perspectives (most, though not all, of the members here appear to be men) and accepting feedback from those occupying different positions from ourselves. For men aspiring to protect women, it is crucial that we listen to women for input into how we might best serve.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-20, 20:15:56 by Matthew of the Isles »
"The Life of the Land is sustained through righteousness." -King Kamehameha III

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Article Pertaining to the Defense of Women
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-25, 19:52:00 »
Alas 3 of those 5 require one to not be socially blind, and I do have a rather hard time seeing that kind of thing. Thus I rely on my wife. If someone needs to be vamoosed she shall tell me if she can't do it herself.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Matthew of the Isles

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-31, 20:32:52 »
It's true that some of us may not be naturally inclined towards that sort of social insight. However, I see it as a skill that one can cultivate, with effort substituting for natural talent or native aptitude, same as any other.

The reason why I feel that it is important for would-be modern knights to cultivate this skill is because, should we be successful in cultivating our character through The Code, we should be the sort of man that women would naturally approach for help with predatory men, just like "Clark," the man that the author had approached in her article. However, where "Clark" failed, we must not, not if we are to embody our highest ideals. Character must be paired with competence, or else we would be doing more harm than good.
"The Life of the Land is sustained through righteousness." -King Kamehameha III

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #3 on: 2017-12-03, 22:49:09 »
I would say that to stop sexual harassment one must convince society to stop pursuing its glorification of lust, sex, and care free living.  Is it going to happen: likely no, but with enough people and a change in today's culture, it is possible to achieve it.

The reason why I feel that it is important for would-be modern knights to cultivate this skill is because, should we be successful in cultivating our character through The Code, we should be the sort of man that women would naturally approach for help with predatory men, just like "Clark," the man that the author had approached in her article. However, where "Clark" failed, we must not, not if we are to embody our highest ideals. Character must be paired with competence, or else we would be doing more harm than good.

You make a good point here, one must know the balance of being protective in contrast to being controlling.  A Knight of Today or the Modern Warrior must be one who understands the social nuances of today and must not be blind to the cultural arrogance that gives way to devaluing of women and sincere love. 

This is why we Modern Knights/Warriors must educate ourselves with Wisdom texts and how to apply what we learn in our daily actions.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.